Moriah Jackson interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books started in elementary school with research topics. I loved to read about the weather and nature and then I had to do a report on Wyatt Earp and in a way I became obsessed, always looking for new books that were written about him. In sixth grade I read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck and Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell and my love grew from there. Before I was fourteen years old, I'd read several books by Stephen King and I'd started quite the collection of The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. And of course being true to my age, I read a lot of R.L. Stine and Judy Blume as well. Before I graduated from high school, I'd read all of Jane Austen's books and that set me on a path for the classics like Dickens, Milton, both the Brontes. Honestly that list could go on forever.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I started writing short stories and poems in elementary school and I took creative writing in high school and college. I'd always envisioned myself writing a book someday, but never pursued it until recently when I wrote my first novel "When the Levee Breaks."


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Both frustrating and exciting. It took me just under three months to write my first book. I self published it on Amazon and Barnes and Noble, which was fairly simple, but I wanted something more. So I started Google researching publishing companies that accepted unsolicited manuscripts. After I found several that accepted Suspenseful Romance novel, I started writing query letters and submitting one letter after the other. I received two denials and three offers. So, now I'm in deciding process to determine which company I want to work with in hopes that they can take over for me with marketing. Marketing is certainly the hardest and most expensive part of the writing process and I certainly wouldn't mind the assistance. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would tell remind them to not get discouraged and to do your research. There are legit companies out there that want to work with you and not just take your money.
And when it comes to writing, also do your research. Know and understand what you're writing about so your work it as realistic and relatable as possible. 


Tell us about your book/books:

When the Levee Breaks is my first novel that is currently being published and will be available in 2023. It is a Dark Suspense Romance that follows the relationship development of the two main characters while under life threatening situations.
The idea for this book came to me quite literally in a dream. A few months back I started having this dream where I was trapped in my car on a flooded bridge. The car ended up flipping over the side of the bridge while I was still in it. I managed to escape and reach the shore where I was pulled from the water by a seemingly nice group of people. It turned out they were all murderers and locked me into their basement where I had to find a way to escape. 
I had this dream every night for months. Same scenario over and over again.
I finally decided that I needed to write it down and hope that it would stop plaguing my sleep. And it worked. As soon as I started to create a story around this dream, it went away. 
But now that the original dream had passed, I started to have other dreams also relating to my book. In a way they were guiding me, telling me what I needed to write. It's bizarre I know, but that's how this book came to be what it is now.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I have found a lot of support and encouragement in the writing communities on both Facebook and Twitter. It is really lovely to see everyone asking questions and getting answers. You know you're not doing this alone and that is inspiring in itself. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I just want everyone to know how much I appreciate their support and the feedback.


Where can people connect with you?

I can be followed on Twitter: @AuthorMoriahJ 
Or on Facebook: 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview