Gregory B Taylor interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I (Gregory B Taylor) am a serial writer and high school mathematics teacher living in Ottawa, Canada. Over the past twenty years I have written (and read) web serials, personified math functions (math-tans), created videos for mathematical song parodies, attempted web comics, contributed summaries online for time travel fiction (comics and anime), and have just generally tried to entertain and inform others.


When did your love of books begin?

It's hard to pin down, but from a young age I was involved in summer reading programs, and I would prefer to read in my spare time. I still recall the first "book" I wrote in middle school as an English project. It also involved time travel.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

While at University, I wrote columns for our biweekly faculty newsletter, did script writing for the campus theatre group, and published fanfiction online. So I suppose we can say it was when I was 20. Unless you count that time in middle school too.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Time consuming. Being part of this time travel anthology is my debut publication, as far as "official" channels go, which came about largely because the more experienced authors already knew how to navigate the publishing system. I have been maintaining online serials for over a decade now, which don't pay (except on Patreon), so in a sense I'm a teacher more than I am an author (even if I list writing first in my social media).


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Join communities. That's how I got early reviews from my serial writing, that's how I got feedback on my brief foray into webcomics, and that's how I got to be part of this anthology publication. Also, a good chunk of being recognized is perseverance, and luck, so keep trying.


Tell us about your book/books:

My short story in the collection involves a woman in the future who, in the process of inventing time travel, discovers she may be part of a predestination paradox. I also have two long running serials online, one about a group of teenagers who get caught up in a future war when they discover a time machine, and one about a mysterious station that attempts to correct dimensional irregularities by recruiting individuals with powered abilities. And I wrote a short book for my daughter, but it's not available for viewing.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The community is very open, friendly, and supportive. This collective group in particular has helped me a lot on the editing and promotion side of writing, for which I am very thankful.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

All of my creative efforts over the years exist in a sort of shared universe mythology, so you can check out my fiction blogs for more of whatever you've enjoyed.


Where can people connect with you?

My serial website is https://mathtans.wordpress.com/ and I'm "mathtans" almost everywhere in social media. Including @mathtans@wandering.shop and via email, mathtans@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview