Eugene O'Toole interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Eugene O’Toole is a writer whose first novel, ‘Molly Path’, was published by Hawkwood Books (@HawkwoodBooks) in August last year (cover image attached). He has won or been placed in a number of short story competitions.


When did your love of books begin?

I have always loved books, although my reading habits were long dominated by non-fiction. I have been reading much more fiction in recent years and now regret having left this for so long. But life is a series of lessons, and none of us ever gets anything right on the first attempt. If we did, we’d be perfect.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Since my teenage years. I have never wanted to do anything else. It still burns uncontrollably within me.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

For non-fiction it was relatively easy. I worked in journalism and taught as an academic about Latin American politics. If you know your stuff, it is not hard to publish books about this region for someone surrounded by words as part of their everyday work. But the opposite has been the case for fiction, which I have found very hard. While the writing itself is not that difficult—this is above all a question of endurance—I have found it next to impossible to attract an agent. That is essential if you want your work to be published.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Do not become disillusioned if literary agents ignore you. They serve an industry in which only the “next big thing”, or commercial potential, is of real interest to them. They are also not the best judges of good literature. Write because you want to, or because you love to.


Tell us about your book/books:

My novel ‘Molly Path’ is aimed at a young adult (YA) audience. It tells the story of a teenage girl in the UK who refuses to go to school and forms a bond with the special teacher who is sent to tutor her at home. It is based on real characters and I interviewed talented and dedicated teachers to write it. I was lucky that a great independent publisher, Hawkwood Books, picked up this novel and decided to run with it. Good independent publishers keep literature alive, often for little reward. Thank you Hawkwood!


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

They all have the same burning passion. To create other worlds.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you. Writers only exist because there are readers.


Where can people connect with you?

Through my website: https://geotoole.uk/ or via Twitter: @GOTwrites


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview