Danny Garvin interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Danny Garvin is a retired Cable Television engineer. Father of 3, grandfather of 7 who lives in S/W Indiana in the U.S. and is avid reader of Science fiction and all things Paranormal.
He has had a passing interest in writing since high school but started writing in the past couple of years. His interest in Paranormal stories goes back as far as he can remember having had a number of paranormal experiences in his life. 
His blog is a collection of stories that have been told to him over the years by friends and family as well stories submitted by readers and maybe a fictional story or two. He has several works in progress and he currently has two published stories which can be found on the Stories that Spook web site and Facebook page and also 
Paranormal camp fire stories Facebook group at:
And his blog at: 


When did your love of books begin?

I left high school early due to my family moving around a lot. And being sixteen and not having a car I had a lot of time on my hands. But I was fortunate to be within walking distance of one of the local libraries so I spent a lot of time reading. I seamed to gravitate to books on monsters and the paranormal and it was then that I began to devour books. I'm not sure why I was drawn to the paranormal "maybe It could be the fact that that library is famous for being haunted by the ghost of a young woman" but anyway I have been passionate about reading my whole life.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Well as I said earlier I left school early and I always struggled with English and such related subjects it wasn't until I was an adult with a family that it was strongly suggested that I get my GED "High school equivalency diploma" and part of the study for the test was learning how to write an essay. This started a small spark in me and for a while I dabbled in writing I wrote a couple of poems and attempt to write a couple of stories. But that was in 1990 and I couldn't afford to take classes and I didn't know any other writers and at that time there was no Facebook or Twitter the internet was still pretty young so there weren't the resources you have today so my writing just faded away and I didn't think about it for a long time. Then a few years ago I opened my Twitter account just for curiosity I didn't really know exactly what I would find there. Until one day someone posted "show me something pretty" so I replied with a sunrise picture i had snapped with my phone we soon became friends not knowing they were a published author threw them I connected with outher writers in the Twitter writing community which rekindled my interest in writing that's was about three or four years ago. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Becoming a writer is not the easiest thing to do just like any other endeavour it takes work. But I have found that with the support and feedback from fellow writers and family members it has made the journey a lot easier. I wouldn't be able to do this alone.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would have to say read as much as you can as often as you can. Then write as much as you can as often as you can.

Take a writing class. If you can't take an in person class there are classes you can take on line. 
Read books on writing any thing you can do to help improve your craft. 
I recently saw a post that said as a writer you didn't have to be creative you just have to be observant. 
But most of all just write if you have a story you want to write just write it it doesn't have to be perfect when you first write it just get it done then go back and make it perfect later. 
And last don't let anyone put a damper on your writing and like saying you're not a writer because you haven't written a book or published anything. If you write your a writer. Don't ever let anyone tell you any different.


Tell us about your book/books:

Well I haven't published any books as of yet 
My main work has been short stories mainly paranormal.
On of the first was about a man who had an unexpected out of body experience during which he witnessed the murder of a family close member.
Another is set during the Vet Nam war when a anxus mother receives an un expected visit from her son who was in the military.
My latest work is about a demon that has fled her home land to get away from the demon hunters that pursue her.
I have several others but that gives a general idea of my work.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing community is amazing I have never in my life seen such a supportive group of people that will go out of their way to help and support each other. I have made some fantastic friends here. And I have learned a lot from this community and value there support and feedback more than they will ever know.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Being fairly new to writing its still had to imagine someone other than a friend or family member reading my stories. But to the stranger reading the stories that I write 
I would have to say thank you for reading them and I hope you enjoyed reading them as much as I have enjoyed writing them.


Where can people connect with you?

I'm very active on 
Twitter @garvin_danny
*My blog can be found at


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview