Charlotte Goodwin interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Manic. I think this word sums me up nicely. I tend to feel like both arms and both legs are constantly being pulled in different directions. I'm a mum of two boys aged 4 and 6, I have a property business and live in a never-ending renovation project. I'm an Army Reservist of 19 years. And of course, I'm an author too!
I dream, I write, I create new worlds. I get lost in my fantasy universe and am happiest when I'm creating new things.


When did your love of books begin?

Probably in my mid to late teens. I used to read all the time. It was something I did every night before bed, and often during the day too. Unfortunately, as I grew older life got in the way, and a TV was installed in my bedroom. My love of books drifted away only to be reignited when I started writing my current series.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I wrote my first novel in my early 20s. I suppose I very naively thought a publisher might be interested. I queried, I got nowhere. My dream of becoming an author died then remained entombed until it was reawakened 13 years later.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's a cliché, but it's been a journey. When I started writing my series in October last year, it was mainly to give me something to do when I was bored at work. But as I built my fantasy universe and got to know my characters, I became engrossed in their tale. Five sequels followed, one was drafted in just sixteen days. With each book I can feel my style develop, I get better at plotting and structure and my words flow better.
I've written close to 700,000 words in the last fourteen months, I'm an infinitely better author than I was a year ago, but I know I still have much to learn.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write because you have time to fill. Write because your characters scream at you to tell their story. Write because you love to create. Write because you want others to enjoy your tale. Don't write to make money. 


Tell us about your book/books:

The Gallantrian Legacy is a six-book fantasy series with a hint of sci-fi. Set in a universe where magic is real, there's just not much of it on Earth. 
As an advanced alien race who have evolved to reject violence, the Zargon's interest in inhabited planets is purely scientific. They watch, they study, they orbit on their cloaked ships, and they never interfere. 
The faraway planet of Fantasia is rare, very rare. Here humans exist, and are almost genetically identical to those on Earth, but Fantasia has a magetic field an humans here can wield magic. 
However, the presence of magic doesn't explain why an identical species can be found on two planets, thousands of lightyears apart, this is a mystery the Zargons are yet to solve.
When a young girl from Kenya stumbles upon an ancient wormhole and finds herself far from home, an epic saga begins that would see the peaceful Zargons forced to do something they've never done before. They have to interfere.
My series is written in two trilogies, the Homecoming Trilogy, and the Offspring Trilogy. I'm starting my adventure into the world of self-publishing with book one of my second trilogy. It's a sequel trilogy but is a stand-alone tale. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how supportive and friendly they are. I love how writing gives people with different backgrounds and different political views a common topic to discuss that brings them together; a lovely, inclusive topic free from much of the controversy and polarisation that exists in the broader community. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

If you want a fresh take on epic fantasy, if you want to believe you could one day find yourself in a magical world, if you love banter and hate damsels in distress, my series is for you.


Where can people connect with you?

Full details of all my novels, release dates, my blog and a bit more about me, can be found here: www.charlottegoodwin.co.uk 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview