Amanda Pampuro interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My first regular writing job (though not paid) was a column for the geekdom website Darling Dork called "Days of Future Past," where I reviewed movies that had been set in the future when they were released, but the past passed as I watched them. I loved seeing what fears writers/directors of the recent past projected onto the silver screen, and talking about which had manifested or laughably faded away. 


When did your love of books begin?

Growing up in a military family, we moved a lot and spent many school vacations driving to new towns. Rather than appreciate the scenery, I'd read books until I got carsick. I have vivid memories of inhaling the Time Warp Trio series down the east coast, Harry Potter numero uno going west, and the Lord of the Rings on a trip through California.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I have always enjoyed writing stories. I became serious about it during undergrad at the University of Guam after an English professor told the class that the only thing one needed to be a writer was to write and devote oneself to the craft. I have since developed a daily routine of working predawn with a pot of black coffee.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Ideas fall like snowflakes. I don't quite know what makes some ideas stick and others melt. I do however know that if you keep working, you'll have a mighty fine snowfort in a few weeks (or months or years depending on the project). Writing is slow work. Editing is humbling. Publishing is a different kind of storm. Readers make the world go round. Books are awesome. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

The most important thing is to first create your finest work. Everything else comes in time, no matter how good the work. I liken the process of pitching publishers to dating since you find many, many misfits on the search for the right one. I am also inspired by my friends who are self-publishing and think that is a great avenue for authors able to hire themself for the job. 


Tell us about your book/books:

Wish List (Alien Buddha Press 2022) follows one woman's life through things she bought online as told by the algorithm that sold them to her. The Death of Ivan Ilych for the reader of Buzzfeed listicles, this satirical sci-fi novella will make you laugh, cry, and clear your browser history.
The Accidental Time Travelers Collective volume I (2022) features 12 stories from 12 international authors exploring the multitude of consequences that come from traveling through time. I loved seeing the different vessels each author chose to transport their characters to past, present and future, including futuristic tech, magical powers, a hot air balloon, a merry-go-round and a steaming hot calzone. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The Accidental Time Travelers Collective is everything I love about the writing/reading community. One day I saw the hashtag on Twitter #TimeTravelAuthors, driven by prompts written by the delightful Julie Bihn (the Titanic Voyage). That being one of my favorite sub(cross)genres, I jumped in, and discovered a community of writers producing fantastic physics-defying stories. Joshua Bellin (Myriad) had the bright idea to put together an anthology of #TimeTravelAuthors, which the wonderful historical author Kiersten Marcil (Witness to Revolution) edited. This collection is a wonderful artifact from the ideal Internet created by people who connected and collaborated over a common niche love. More important than being a fun social experiment, the stories rock!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for coming along for the ride. Let's keep writing, reading and supporting each other. Just wait til you see what's next. 


Where can people connect with you?

I love swapping stories and do author interviews whenever I can. Feel free to reach out with links, ARCs and betas.
@Bright_Lamp on Twitter and Insta.
https://amandapampuro.wordpress.com/ for a list of links and contact info. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Claude Bouchard interview