Willy Martinez interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi, my name is Willy Martinez and I'm a relatively new-to-fiction writing kind of guy. I have written a ton of research papers, and have studied all of the classics. Now, it's time to sit down and beginwriting my own stories. I have one published short story in a short horror anthology. I'm currently working on a novel that takes place in Southern Illinois, about witches. I also dabble in some poetry, but mostly, I blog at The Ritual Blog, which is the blog for my small press company, Mind on Fire Books.


When did your love of books begin?

As with all things in life, I have been a late bloomer. I didn't learn to appreciate reading until my Freshman year in High School. One of my friends was reading Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut, and I asked to borrow it when he was done since he had spoken so highly of it. And that was it, once I read Timequake, I was hooked on reading. Naturally, my next book was "Cat's Cradle," another Kurt Vonnegut book. From there, my interest in other authors slowly grew.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I would probably say that was my Junior year in High School. I had been listening to a lot of hip-hop and was dabbling in poetry. Around the same time, there was a short fiction writing contest held atschool in which I participated. I believe I was simultaneously taking a fiction writing class, so it just kind of worked out that I would write something to enter the contest. I ended up earning 2nd place andwas pleased with the outcome. I felt a real sense of fulfillment in having accomplished this small milestone and set the course for more writing studies in the near future.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Oof, now that's a conundrum, lol. For me, I wanted to experience the world before I sat down to write. I felt that I was too sheltered at home, or that I wasn't exposed to enough "life." And I had once readsomewhere that we will only be good at writing something that we are familiar with. So, I decided to enlist in the Marines to see the world. I didn't get to see too much of the world, but I did get toserve during the Invasion of Iraq. Subsequently, I experienced many different feelings after my deployment. I also went to school, on and off, for about 12 years until I earned my Master's Degree in English. Along this route, I learned many lessons in life, as well as read many books, while studying how writers deliver their stories. To sum up my response, I would say that my process involved a heavy mixture of life and classroom lessons over the course of about 15 years.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Go for it! Start small if you have to. Hold on to those journals and beginner writing prompts. You never know when you will return to those feelings and or stories. They might just evoke new ideas, or remindyou of why you started in the first place.


Tell us about your book/books:

My short fiction so far would fall under the dark fiction and fantasy categories. Ultimately, my goal is to write something fantastic, meaning that I want to ride the fine line between reality and fiction. I want the reader to question their own thoughts and beliefs when they finish reading my work. Was it real? Is this even possible?


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing community has been super supportive. I don't think I have met another writer that has tried to put me down or speak condescendingly. The writing community has really proven to be a community of loving, caring artists. I think we all just want to write and read stories all day.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Make sure you are enjoying what you are reading. If you don't feel like you are enjoying the book after 20 pages, go ahead and put it down, pick up the next book. Sometimes it's about the right time, andyou may just not yet be ready to hear what that certain author is sharing.  Or maybe, the book just isn't that good. This applies more so to the classics. Please do not feel obligated to read a supposed classic, just because it is considered to be classic. Move on if it sucks.


Where can people connect with you?

You can find me on Twitter mostly at @MindOnFires. You can also visit my website at www.mindonfirebooks.comYou can always email me as well at martinez@mindonfirebooks.com.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown