Rowena Redman interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

As I child I was read to well past the normal age of being read to. To this day reading a book, any book is a struggle for me as I am dyslexic. However, my love of books is as deeply ingrained in my character as my dyslexic traits. My parents taught me never to allow my dyslexia to hold me back and to be proud. My parent knew more about dyslexia than most as they publish and sell special needs books for a living. They always helped me as such my mother would read me the childhood classics. I grew up listening to Peter Rabbit, Heidi and Anne of Green Gables. As I grew older my parents bought me audiobooks, I would listen to Catherine Fisher’s oracle series and Series of Unfortunate Events on cassette tape then CDs as the later books came out. Audiobooks were something of a miracle for me as I learn best by listening. As I listened books truly came alive for me.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I have always been making up stories. Whether I was a child playing with my toys or a teenager rewriting my favourite novels. I wrote my first full novel when I was sixteen and though it needed work, but it was the greatest feeling in the world. I knew I wanted to be an author. I chose to study creative writing at university and have been writing ever since. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Truthfully very difficult. When I first decided I had taken my book as far as I could and was ready to publish, I did apply to literary agents and publishers. But after I received around 40 rejections i decided to stop. I know its not personal or even necesarrly a reflection of the quality of the book but anyone who has been through the process understand how emotionally damaging it can be. Apply to publishers takes a lot of work and research, then to just receive stock rejection after stock rejection at a certain it becomes too much. I chose to stop but I didn't want to give entirely so I began looking into self publishing. It is been a steep learning process but I am so glad I have. Its been very rewarding actually selling books. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Bearing in mind I have only published my first book a month I wouldn't want to start acting like I know everything there is to know. However my advice of any prospective author would be to decide your own way of doing things. When you are at the crucial stage of having a completed manuscript take some time to research the process of being published. Find some publishers or agents that you really like and think will be good for your book, they like the personal touch. But also decide what your thoughts about self publishing. Publishing is difficult process no matter so I think it is really important to choose what is right for you. 


Tell us about your book/books:

Parvery is a land divided into nine kingdoms each with its own royal family, culture and industry that defines it. Whether their wealth is in fishing, mining, trees or silks the people of each prize their local resources. The land is a peaceful place of trade and mutual respect between the kingdoms as they are all governed by the doctrine of kings. This doctrine decides the territories of each kingdom, the laws of the land and the understanding between each kingdom to live in peace with one another. All the kingdoms are tied together by the process of matching where royal princes and princes from different kingdoms intermarry. While this process is governed by choice all royals have a duty to make a noble match.  

For over 600 hundred years this land and these traditions have been undisturbed until tragedy strikes. A group of mercenaries visit Parvery a massacre an entire village for an unknown purpose. The shock waves of this unprecedented event are felt for years to come. One survivor; a young girl is left alive and taken to Hollthen castle where the King and Queen adopt her. This girl is neither commoner nor a princess is where the story begins as she struggles to find her place and happiness. The first book in the collection also explains the start of the king’s quest to discover why that awful attack took place in Parvery.   



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I read something recently that seemed to perfectly answer this question and that was that no one has to lose or you to win. I have always found the community of writers and readers an incredible supportive and friendly group of people. At it's heart I believe the community is about enjoyment, exploration and supporting the creative expressive arts. This doesn't mean we can't choose to give feedback but only in a way that lift us and helps others to improve. I personally have only had positive interactions since publishing and I sure it will continue. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I suppose I would ask them to remember that I am just starting out. I am a first time dsylexic author who is still learning very much as I go. I don't mind feedback or even people spotting mistakes, all I ask is that be polite and understanding. If given a chance I will fix any mistakes and improve as I go because one thing I can promise my readers is that there are more books to come. 


Where can people connect with you?

I am on Twitter, Facebook, Bookbub and Goodreads but I also have my own website. You can just search my name Rowena Redman into the sites and here is the link to my website https://rowenaprice92.wixsite.com/rowenaredmanauthor
Also as a final note I would like to say that believe beautiful artwork should be part of a fantasy novel. Some of my favourite authors have had some beautiful illustrations created for their novels or artist inspired by fantasy novels have created some amazing artwork. Which is why I when I decide to self publish I chose to work with an artist to include some illustrations of my own. I have add an example above along with my covert art.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview