K.S. Wood interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is K. S. Wood.  Since my dad was an officer in the USMC, I moved around a great deal, having lived in Japan and four states of the United States before I had even turned eight years old.  I spent eighteen years in Southern California and then moved to my little swath of the Midwest, otherwise known as Iowa, United States.  I have been married since 2007, have a young adult stepson and two cats who have their own small following on social media.  I work a full time job in the customer service sector.  I have a love of learning that runs deep and covers a very broad assortment of topics.


When did your love of books begin?

I have loved stories my entire life.  My mom used to read to my younger brother and me when we were very little.  She also taught me my alphabet and phonetics and I then learned to put them together.  I have been reading since I was three and always have had some sort of book in my hand, whether it be a paperback, hardback or digital one on my Kindle.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I was writing just as soon as I learned to read.  I used to scribble little stories in crayon and then would have to decipher them to my parents, since they couldn't read what I wrote.  It just naturally progressed for me.  I have always had a story to tell.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's daunting at times.  Having been scammed in the past by a vanity publisher, I decided to go the independent and self-published route because I like the control I have over my own works.  It's exhausting sometimes, being out on my own, but I also love it.  There are times though that I struggle with my doubt and wonder if what I am doing is worth it.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Keep writing.  Everyone has a story to tell, whether it's one they've made up or something that happened to them.  Learn to keep perfecting your stories and building them.  Read others work's too. 


Tell us about your book/books:

I write a series of fantasy adventure stories called The Portals Series (https://amzn.to/3db580g).  It follows a series of magical beings known as seekers, who have the ability to open portals to new realms and discover the magics and stories that are there.  The stories are told from a first person point of view of different characters, all of whom have a story to tell.  There are currently 3 novels and 12 novellas in the series, with two more novels in various stages of editing.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the support that I have received from the community.  Many encourage me to stay on this wonderful journey, even when I have the doubts I previously mentioned.  I also love meeting new authors and reading their works as well.  


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Many of them tell me "I didn't even think I'd like fantasy until I read something you wrote."  So thank you for taking a chance on me and letting me show you that ALL genres are worth at least an attempt at a read.  Sometimes, an author might surprise you!


Where can people connect with you?

If you visit my blog, https://kswoodwrites.blog/, there's a section for "About me" that has all of my social media handles on it.  I also can be reached by email at kswoodwrites@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview