Jim Schmalzried interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I think my serious reading habits began in middle school. I love history, it was my college major. I started reading historical fiction by Allen Eckert and Brice Catton. It fascinates me still today. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I studied Creative Writing in college and wrote short stories there. Several years ago my wife, Pam, asked me to write her some short stories. After I had a few written I decided, why not make them longer and turn them into books. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

That process, oh boy, is a tough nut. Just writing 70-80 thousand words and trying to keep it interesting is a real chore. Then image writing a summary of only two paragraphs for some editor or agent to review. I find that process boring and condescending. Being an indie author is no treat either. Amazon has millions of books for sale and yours can't be found no matter what you try. But we keep on plugging away don't we? Thomas Edison said, "You never truly fail until you quit."


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Go for it. If you have a story to tell, tell it. Never give up on your dream but don't expect to make any money.


Tell us about your book/books:

"Even Then I Loved You" is based on the incredible story of how my wife and I met. I still, 46 years later marvel at the thought. At Thanksgiving, while trimming the Christmas tree a grandchild asks how we met. It covers growing up in the '50s; 60s and 70s. It will make you laugh and maybe even shed a tear.
Next was "Summer of '63". A Civil War love story. A laborer falls for the boss' daughter and she for him. The dad is not happy since a doctor is also interested in her affection. War breaks out and he enlists. The father intercepts his letter and they never hear from other. She questions her love for the doctor but maintains the relationships until the soldier finds his way back.
"Legend of Apparition Mountain" is tale of a woman about to be married gets lost in a snow storm and is rescued by a mountain man. She went back in time. She lives with him and native Americans. She eventually married him. Over a year later an unfortunate illness sends her back to her original time and place. She needs to explain where she had been but no one believes her until.... 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the creativeness, the support and the fact that we are all going through the same process. Like athletes that compete but have that respect for the other because they know what it takes to get where they are.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I am a story teller. I don't get all flowery and wordy with my stories. I use to tell bedtime stories to my children and made them up as I went along. They always started with "Once Upon A Time.." I write simple, the big vocabulary words have no place in my folksie stories.
Just if you read my stories I truly hope you find enjoyment and maybe escape with a smile or two. 
I'm not looking to get rich just spreading a little entertainment.


Where can people connect with you?

I suppose if someone wanted to reach out they could email me


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview