Jeffrey V. Yorio interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I was born in Corning, NY and know live in Spencerport, New York.  Married with three children and a Pomeranian that was there one night when I got home.  I recently retired from my management career. I didn't start writing till about 2011.

I've had several stories published. Unexpected Opportunity (February 2015, Aphelion), Dandelion Dreams (Flash Fiction Press 11-23-2015), Umbrae Calling (Flash Fiction Press 1-25-2016), poem: To Meet Others (The Question of the Day: The Andre Polk Memorial Anthology, Clayborn Press, 9-2017) The Time of Their Lives (12-7-2021, https://stoneydegeyter.com/blog) 

I enjoy reading, science fiction, fantasy, and historical genres. It was his enjoyment of history and the question, how did the myth of vampires originate, that led him to write the SUNDOWNERS series. 


When did your love of books begin?

In 4th grade, I read this book from the school library, Lucky Star and the Moons of Jupiter. by Paul French, who I later discovered was Issaac Asimov.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

It was in 2011. I was reading and my wife said, "You read a lot of that stuff, why don't you write one."  It's my wife's fault.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

When I started, I had nothing more than, write or type it out.  It's a frustratingly relaxing.  It involves dreaming, speculating, and working at it. It became a goal and a challenge. Reading author's and books I like. Poetry was a help, a most unusual genre, with its own set of rules.  Seeing ideas in a tv commercial, a friend's comment, or a picture. My browsing history would be a most interesting subject.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Then be one. Also be a reader, a writer, a dreamer. a creator of historical documents for the worlds you create.  Tell your stories so that others can visit these worlds, meet your characters,  and buckle down for the most misunderstood and simply hardest job ever.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first book, Sundowners: Vampires Are Only Human, was published in October of 2020.  This idea germinated from a chat room question. "Where did the vampire myth come from?"  almost every culture has some sort of blood consuming creature. Perhaps, when science, didn't know what it does now, rabies might have been the unknown culprit. I looked at that and wondered, could a vampire exist in modern society? The traits attributed to a vampire would seem to make it difficult in a modern society.  I wanted and needed a different vampire, so I created one. My vampires have nothing to do with evil pact, magic, or such. They are a mutation of anemia. They can be just as blood thirsty. They also created the vampire myth.
It's sequel, Sundowners II: Vampire Secrets, was published in September of 2022 and continues the struggles of a prominent vampire family.  New characters, vampire and human are introduced as the conflicts between the two sects of vampires becomes more dangerous and open.
I'm a history major out of college, a certified teacher. I use that in both books for names, most are historically accurate. I use my sense of humor in them as well.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The diversity, honesty, and support we have for each other. I've helped other writers out; some writing vampire stories. We don't view each other as competitors or rivals. We're brothers and sisters in this endeavor.  I can ask a writing question of several friends who write different genres and get different answer. That is our strength, there is no one way to write a story, poem, or book.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you all for taking a chance on a new writer. I'm honored and flattered that you did and for the comments that have been left.


Where can people connect with you?

My authors website:

There are links to my Facebook, Twitter, and Indeed. An e-mail is also there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown