Gillian Harvey interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I remember loving books from a very young age. My parents always read to me, and bedtime stories were a real joy. My dad also used to make up train stories for us about two naughty trains called ‘Puff Puff’ and ‘Whistle Whistle’ so I think storytelling was in the blood!


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I remember wanting to be a writer from about 5 years old. I used to always get praised by my English teachers and loved writing in all its forms. I started off having an ambition to become a poet – and still love scribbling funny rhymes. But this gradually grew into a desire to write something longer. I probably started writing my first book age 17, but it took me a long time to write to the right length; and even longer to write something publishable!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I found it very difficult at first. But looking back, I think a lack of confidence held me back. I was always writing, but didn’t really ‘believe’ that being a published author was the sort of thing that would happen to someone like me. I’d start a book, lose confidence and start a new one. Or have a spate of sending my manuscript off to agents, then lose faith in myself and leave it for a few months. A concerted effort would have probably paid off much sooner!

 

I started getting short stories and articles published in my 30s, then got my first agent when I was around 38. My first book ‘Everything is Fine’ came out in 2020 when I was 41.

Although I might have got here sooner with a different approach, I do think being published for the first time in my 30s, and having my first book published in my 40s meant I had a lot more experience to draw on in my writing than I would have otherwise! A lot of jobs, a lot of life experience and a whole lot of heartache.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Don’t listen to the doubting voices. I know several successful authors who still suffer from imposter syndrome, or self-doubt. Just keep writing. Try to enjoy the process. And don’t give up!


Tell us about your book/books:

My books are humorous reads, but tackle serious topics too. I like to take my reader through a range of emotions – from sadness/tears to laughter and happiness. My latest books are set in France, where I’ve lived for 12 years, and draw on my experience of living here, what I’ve learned about the French way of life – and are set against a beautiful backdrop!



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Until I was a published author, I didn’t realise there was such an amazing and supportive community of readers and writers online. I really missed out! It’s lovely know to have connected with so many writers and readers – there’s always someone there to give you support, help with a plot dilemma or exchange a book recommendation. It’s one of the few wonderful things about social media – I’ve finally found my ‘tribe.’


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thanks for reading my books! And thanks for taking the chance on a brand-new author.


Where can people connect with you?

I’m everywhere! My website is gillianharvey.com but I am on Instagram and Twitter as @GillPlusFive and Facebook as @gillianharveyauthor


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview