Gemma Rogers interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I’ve loved books since I was a child. My mum would always take me to the library and every week it would be the same request, The Hungry Caterpillar. I’ve always enjoyed reading, when I was young it was all of the Narnia books, then in my teenage years I read a lot of horror, which I still love now.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I’ve loved to write ever since I was young. My brother and I wrote a little book about a clock called Horace who lived on the kitchen wall of a lovely family and came alive at night to have adventures. Since becoming an adult I started lots of books, getting to around twenty to thirty thousand words before moving on to another project. In 2016 I wanted to see if I had the stamina to finish something, so I went on to write what is now called Stalker.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

As soon as Stalker was written I sent the manuscript to many agents, believing that to be my first port of call. I had some good feedback but ultimately no one wanted to sign me. In 2019 I heard via Twitter that a new publishing company was forming and wanted submissions. Because I loved the writing process I had another book that I’d finished so when they called to say they love my submission and knew I had another book too, they signed me for four novels.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write as much as you can. It sounds straightforward but it’s easy to procrastinate and not actually get the words down on the page. Set yourself a target if you can and try and write every day. Discover what sort of writer you are, are you a planner, or a panster (like me), someone who has a general idea of the plot but develops it along the way.


Tell us about your book/books:

I have six books published, with the seventh coming in January. I would class them as domestic thrillers. They all have female protagonists, either seeking the truth, righting wrongs, and fighting injustice with a sprinkling of revenge included! I’m fascinated by how life can spiral out of control with one snap decision and that is the theme for most of them.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love it when readers get in touch to tell me how much they’ve enjoyed one of my books. It’s so rewarding and people are generally very kind and complimentary which is amazing. I read a lot, currently working my way to my goal of one hundred books read this year, so I also love getting recommendations of good reads.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you! Thank you for picking up my book and taking a chance on a new author. Thank you for telling your friends that you enjoyed it. I appreciate and read every single review. 


Where can people connect with you?

I’m on Twitter as @GemmaRogers79, Instagram as GemmaRogersAuthor and have a Facebook page with the same name, GemmaRogersAuthor. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview