Adrian Zupp interview 3

AUTHOR INTERVIEW 3


How did it feel when you finished writing your book?

My very first book (never published): I felt a sense of achievement but I was still immature as a writer. I wanted to produce a serious, dramatic novel but it turned out to be very “young adult.” Part of the learning process. Finding your voice. My second book, which I’ll publish next year, made me feel like I’d broken through, found my voice, and created something I felt was very worthwhile. My new book, out now: a feeling that I’d refined and added to what I’d developed, as a writer, with my second book.


How do you feel when your book is going through the editing phase?

I don’t really edit. I write very fast, pretty much “first thought, best thought,” then on the reread I may make some minor adjustments but it’s virtually the first draft. I know this goes against all the “laws of good writing” but to me the only law of writing is that there are no laws of writing. Do your own thing. Pour out what’s in you. I do proof very carefully and more than once. I may get someone else to proof it as well, but not to edit.


You get a front cover for your book, it must be starting to feel more real now but that surely brings about a lot of emotions?

It’s gratifying. The cover of my new book is super cool (in my opinion). The concept was mine but an award-winning designer friend of mine, Elizabeth DeMarco, brought it all together and added her touch. I loved the cover but didn’t feel high emotions. Just pride in the whole project.


Your book has now got to ARC stage and it's out with some readers now, how do you feel?

I’m glad that progress is being made, but I’m feeling realistic. Once you cross over from the creating to the distribution/approval/money side of things, I’m a realist. I don’t get carried away. It’s a low percentage game and has little or nothing to do with the quality of the work. You are now dealing with people’s opinions.


You now have everything ready to go and a release date set, how does it feel?

Again, it’s great to make it to each stage. And once everything is well and truly ready and triple checked, there is a sense of accomplishment. Anything that happens from here on in is largely luck. The real achievement has been accomplished. You’ve created something. Something you can be proud of and something that will outlive you, even if only on one bookshelf.


Where can people connect with you?

Just email me at zuppadrian@gmail.com. The book also has its own website that was professionally designed and built, and is very visual and impressionistic (and has a good deal of biographical content as well): adrianzupp.com/all-of-my-friends-died-in-plane-crashes/ I will have another book (already written) coming out in 2023, and it will be added as a separate section of the website. So the website, social media, and all the other usual means will be used to announce the release of the book. Including Feed My Reads!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview