Stephanie Cotta interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Stephanie Cotta and I am fantasy writer based in Southern Oregon. When I’m not steeped in writing, I’m launching arrows at hay bales, doing something artistic, reading fantasy, or playing an immersive RPG.


When did your love of books begin?

At an early age. I’ve been devouring books as long as I can remember. When I was eight or nine I picked up my first Star Wars novel at a garage sale for a quarter, and that put me on a path of reading primarily SSF for the bulk of my life.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Back in 2013 I started writing an adult fantasy series. When I was younger, I wrote some short stories and lots of poetry, but I didn’t consider myself a writer or that I’d ever one day become a published author. But when I embarked on writing my fantasy series, I quickly realized I wanted to make this writing “hobby” a serious commitment and one day get published.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It has been arduous at times, especially with trying to get my foot in the publishing door. I sent out a mass of query letters and received a host of rejection letters, and as many writers know, it can be so hard to keep continuing. But persistence pays off. I found an amazing publisher who fell in love with my book, and the journey since then has been amazing! I’ve learned so much.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Pursue it, and don’t give up. I wrote for eight years before I landed a publisher. During those years, I honed my craft and discovered my writing voice: nothing was wasted time. If your author dream is big enough, then sharpen your mindset to continue writing and querying no matter how hard it gets, or how many rejection letters you receive. Being able to hold my physical book is one of the greatest feelings in the world. It’s a dream I get to hold in my hands and share with others.


Tell us about your book/books:

My debut YA Epic Fantasy, The Conjurer’s Curse, follows seventeen-year-old Rowan who is a walking breathing curse. He just hasn’t realized it yet. Here is a short portion from the blurb: “Since birth, Rowan has been the object of scorn in his village. The reason? He’s a dikyli—an outsider with albino skin and an ominous mark blazoned on his neck. So when his fourth guardian-mother is found dead, all blame falls on him, and he is banished before his life-draining curse can strike again. The only path left to Rowan is clear: He must discover who cursed him and alter his horrible fate—or forever lose everyone he loves.”

 

As a lover of epic fantasy, and a huge fan of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein, I wanted to write my own fantastical adventure story, and that’s how The Conjurer’s Curse’s inception came about. This character-driven story is fraught with danger and mystery, and will appeal to readers who love high fantasy, action and adventure, and a bit of romance. This is the first book in a series, so there is more to come!



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how supportive everyone is. I’ve made wonderful connections with writers and readers around the globe who I’ll probably never meet face-to-face, but we come together and champion each other’s works. I love how we all rally around each other with encouragement and rejoice when someone succeeds and lands that agent or publisher.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for your incredible support and for reading my debut novel! I hope the world I created in my fantasy novel has left your imagination lit. I would love to hear your feedback and what you enjoyed about Rowan’s adventure in The Conjurer’s Curse.  


Where can people connect with you?

Visiting my linktree is a great way to connect with me. It has all my socials listed there, including my author website. https://linktr.ee/StephanieCotta?utm_source=linktree_profile_share&ltsid=5c5dc043-a88e-473e-8b28-44fe3667c1bd


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview