Samantha Moran interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Samantha Moran, and I am an independent author from Southwest Michigan. I am a proud Western Michigan University alumna with a degree in English Secondary Education and a minor in History Secondary Education. I currently have two published works: “Stages of Grief: A Short Story” (a psychological paranormal tale) and Dealings in the Dark (a supernatural/occult horror novella releasing 10-1-22). I am happily married and a work-from-home mom, caring for my two amazing kids (5 and 1). I also live with Multiple Sclerosis. It is my dream to become a successful author if only to show my kids that they can grow up to achieve their dreams, too.


When did your love of books begin?

I fell in love with books when I was very young. My parents and grandparents used to read me stories before bed every night. One particular childhood favorite was Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss. I loved having the same name as the main character. Perhaps Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is what solidified my love for reading. I’ve always loved stories involving the paranormal, the supernatural, and magick. I also love that in books, there is a place for literally everyone!


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I wanted to become an author as early as high school, though I saw the prospect as unrealistic and chose not to pursue it for a long time. I decided that becoming an author really was my dream after my daughter was born in 2017, but I had no confidence to pursue it and share my work with the world. Last year, 2021, I finally published “Stages of Grief” on my blog. I didn’t publish it on Amazon until July of this year, but since then, I’ve finished a novella and a novel manuscript, and I’m determined to keep going now!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The process is daunting, to say the least. I feel small, like a fish in a tank placed next to the ocean. There are so many great writers out there, and I worry that I’ll never compare. But, through writing, I’m finding out who I really am. I love the process, even though it’s quite stressful. I don’t have the reach of traditionally represented authors, but I’m going to keep pushing through anyway!


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

If you write something down, you’re an author. If it’s something you love, then the story is great. Not every story is for every person, and you will receive negative feedback, but that’s ok. Learn from it. Choose what you want to hold onto and what you want to let go. This journey is for you. Just love what you do, and don’t give up! Also, there is nothing wrong with being an Indie author! Just because a publishing house didn’t specifically choose your work doesn’t make it any less valid. Don’t let anyone else define your worth. You’ve got this!


Tell us about your book/books:

“Stages of Grief” is a short story about two characters named Casey and Owen who are called down to the morgue to identify a body. The entire process of accepting this person’s death is a difficult and surreal experience for both of them. In the end, it’s a story about love, loss, and moving on.Dealings in the Dark is a horror novella that focuses on coming into one’s own power, but doing it with thought and foresight. Alex is a magickal practitioner who finds herself in a huge mess based on her past mistakes and the mistakes of her family members when a creature tries to claim her soul for his own. This tale incorporates some elements of modern metaphysical practices while also utilizing some of those classic horror elements to keep the readers in suspense. It releases on 10-1-22!



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

So far, it seems like the people in these communities are much more accepting and uplifting than people in other communities. I have been able to seek advice, make new connections, and improve my work based on feedback from others. It’s great. Plus, I have been exposed to so many more amazing Indie works! I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to read them all!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

For me, writing is an outlet, a way to explore my wildest thoughts and create entirely new worlds. I try to bring these things to life for the reader with descriptive language. I hope that you all enjoy my works, and know that there are many more to come in many different genres. I am finding who I am, and hopefully, you’ll follow along for the ride!


Where can people connect with you?

I have a linktree that connects to all of my important information (www.linktr.ee/tommygirlsam892). Right now, I’m most active on Twitter (@BCAuthor21), on my personal website, and on Facebook. Feel free to follow me there for up to date information and to contact me! You can also send me messages at beautifulchaosstories@gmail.com.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview