Marie Keates interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi, I’m Marie Keates, chocolate lover, walker, blogger and author of novels. I started off as a walker who wrote. I've always had a curious mind, so when I found new footpaths, got hopelessly and comically lost or stumbled upon strange things, I wanted to share them, so I started a blog. Many of the odd things I found were history-related, and local history groups often shared my posts. It had never occurred to me that people would want to read my ramblings, but the blog got lots of interest, and gradually I turned into ‘that writer who walks.’


When did your love of books begin?

It began with my mum reading bedtime stories and my dad reading chapters of books aloud on Sunday mornings. A chapter was never enough, so I longed to read for myself. Soon I was gobbling up books like Winnie The Pooh and Alice in Wonderland. We had a fantastic children’s library nearby, and I loved going each week to pick out new books. If I didn’t have my head in a book, I made up stories in my head.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I’d always wanted to write books, but life got in the way.  Then, I was made redundant for the fourth time, and it seemed like now or never. I’d been doing lots of research into my family history, and the stories I’d discovered felt like the plot for a novel. Two years later, I published Plagued.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

A friend who runs a web and graphic design business told me about independent publishing and offered to help with the technical stuff. He’d published several books and thought it was the way forward. When I released Plagued, I didn’t know whether to be proud or scared. It was a departure from my blog posts, and I didn’t know how it would be received. The feedback and encouragement have been tremendous, though, and there’s an enormous sense of achievement in knowing that my stories have brought joy to others.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

What are you waiting for? Write, edit, rewrite and keep going until you have something you're proud of. It’s a learning process, but you can only learn by doing it. Most authors have reams of work they will never publish. Every page you write is a step towards holding your first book in your hand.


Tell us about your book/books:

So far, I have published three books, PlaguedLand Fit For Heroes, and Seventh Daughter. They are fiction based on fact, set in the early years of the twentieth century. They’re filled with strong characters, real-life dilemmas, hope, heartbreak and crime. Each book stands alone, but they come together to make a series. I hope to release the fourth book, A Dish Best Served Cold, later this year, and several others are in the pipeline.





What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how independent writers support each other, even when they write in different genres. As for readers, I enjoy being able to interact with them and get their takes on my stories. Knowing other people care about the characters I’ve created makes writing worthwhile.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you, especially those of you who take the time to leave reviews or talk to me about my books.


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter @marie_keates

My blog WWW.Iwalkalone.co.uk


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview