Lynn Bushell interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi, I'm Lynn Bushell. I'm an artist who writes about painters and the women who inspire them. My last book 'The Lovers and the Dustman' was about the artist Stanley Spencer and his obsession with his gay muse. 'Painted Ladies', published by Sandstone in 2019, was about the French painter Bonnard and his model Renée Montchaty and featured in the blockbuster Bonnard exhibition at Tate Modern.


When did your love of books begin & when did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I always loved books although I only remember our house having one book in it – 'Dulcie's Little Brother' by Evelyn Everett-Green, which apparently was a best seller in 1887 but pretty heavy going for a seven year old in the 1950's. I was an only child and wrote to keep myself company. It never occurred to me that it was something you might do specially until I started to resent the time I had to spend on other things. I think anyone trying to make their way in the 1960's/70's had an advantage, but the initial rejections ran into thousands. In those days they came as letters and I've kept them all.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

To anyone wanting to become an author, I'd say 'Just write. Write anything, whenever you can. It's when you're not doing it that you realise something's missing. It doesn't matter if you're working in a bank or hospital or you're a hard-pressed single mother. Yours is a unique experience. Use it. Later when you write your first book, that experience will be invaluable.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing/reading community is vital to an author because writing books is such a lonely business. We're like children. When we've done something, we long to be applauded for it or at least to know our books are being read.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

One writes to share something. I'm always very touched if someone takes the trouble to say they've connected with it.


Where can people connect with you?

https://amzn.to/3KsinZL will take you directly to my author page on Amazon and details of my latest book. The other three are all available on Amazon or from Sandstone. My website as a painter is www.lynnbushellart.co.uk. I am on Twitter @lynnbushellart and on Instagram at lynnbushellartandbooks.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview