Lucy Morris interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Lucy Morris and I have always been obsessed with myths and legends. In particular, I love Norse and medieval history. In 2020, I was offered a two-book deal with Mills&Boon/Harlequin, for my historical romance set in the Danelaw of Viking age Britain.

It is about a proud Norse widow who is shipwrecked and left destitute. She ends up in a marriage of convenience with a local chieftain who thinks of her as spoilt and cold-hearted. But slowly he begins to realize theirs more to her than meets the eye and the passion between them ignites! 

In 2016 I started writing novels as a hobby after my youngest was born, and I was thrilled to be offered a contract with my dream publisher in 2019. I am now writing my sixth book for them in 2022! So much has happened in such a short space of time, and I can't quite believe it!


When did your love of books begin?

I’ve always loved reading, but as I grew up I particularly enjoyed sneakily reading my mum's historical romances. I had always loved history, fairy tales, and folklore! But the books my mum read were so exciting, filled with history, passion, adventure and best of all a happily ever after! I think romance books are my first true love, and as you know that love never fades.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I have always dabbled in writing. Poems and half-finished stories have always littered my laptop. But I never felt confident enough to do anything with them. At school, I was told I was imaginative but lacking in grammar and spelling, so I never felt 'good' enough.
When I had my two children and gave up work, I found myself adrift in a sea of domestic chaos. Although it made both financial and personal sense for me to give up work, I felt as if my life was lacking on a personal level. Being a mother is so hard. But it actually gave me the confidence to start taking my writing more seriously, whilst also giving me a much-needed creative outlet. I am so glad I ignored all my doubts, after all, what's the worst that can happen? You're rejected? Big deal, so is everyone at least once, try again.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I have been very lucky to have been picked up by one of the bigger publishers. They give advances, they do your editing, covers, and some marketing (every author still has to do marketing no matter how big you are). I know other authors who were not so lucky and have had some really poor publishers/agents, which is not a reflection of their talent but of the industry. I also know of authors who have done very well as independent authors without a publishing company. So, there are many avenues you can go down.
However, I love my publisher, and I'm grateful for their support. There is no way I could have done this on my own. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Take it seriously. Work at it like it's your job and not a hobby. Get those words down, edit them, and look into the kind of publisher you want and the type of books they sell. 
Do your research, look at organizations like the RNA (Romantic Novelists Association), and find fellow writers for moral support - not friends or family. 
I didn't really tell anyone except my husband that I was trying to write books, and it was a big shock for many of them when I got my contract. But I know if I'd asked them to read my writing, it would have only made me anxious and stifled my creativity.


Tell us about your book/books:

So, as well as my debut I currently have another three books out, all set in the Viking age. There is:
The Viking Chief's Marriage Alliance.
A Nun for the Viking Warrior.
The Viking She Would Have Married.
Tempted by her Outcast Viking.
The last two are part of the Shieldmaiden Sisters Trilogy, with the third book 'Beguiling Her enemy Warrior' out in January 2023. The trilogy follows the lives and loves of three fierce warrior-women in Viking-age Europe.




What do you love about the writing/reading community?

In the romance writing/reading community, I have to say the support and love people give each other is fantastic! For a genre that is so regularly mocked and patronized by the literary world (especially in the UK), I love how positive and inclusive our genre actually is (yes, there's always room for improvement - but at least our genre is taking steps to improve diversity.)
Speaking of which, I'm afraid I'm going to rant now...
Romance is the main bread and butter for a lot of publishers and yet it is still treated like some 'silly frivolity' by critics, as not being worthy of praise. A national newspaper did a 'best of all genres list' and completely ignored romance - stating it wasn't a genre. Others will do begrudging articles about how well Mills&Boon sell, but will only use covers from the 1970's, completely ignoring how our publisher and genre have modernized over the years for current readers...Not to mention ignoring the current authors who are writing those books that are selling so well!
Romance is leading the way with inclusive representation, and more diverse books, but again, we're looked down upon and generally ignored for our triumphs. There has always been a huge market for romance, and during the pandemic, romance had an impressive increase in sales. Yet, we still don't have an actual 'romance section' in most big UK bookstores...even though romance outsells many other genres! Yet, booksellers wonder why they are losing money to sites like Amazon, when I know for a fact, many of my readers buy from there because they know their bookshop doesn't stock romance...I wish it made sense. 
Thankfully, I know so many romance writers, associations like the RNA, and readers who are leading the way in demanding more respect for our genre, and I'm grateful and proud to call them friends.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you, I hope you enjoy my books! Oh and if you see my book anywhere take a pic and tag me on Instagram, I love seeing it in the wild!


Where can people connect with you?

If you want to learn more about Lucy, then follow her on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/LucyMorrisAuthor/, Instagram https://www.instagram.com/lucymorris.author/ or Twitter @LMorris_Author


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview