John Winder interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

In grade school when I was “forced” to read assigned books. We weren’t big readers at home. My father, who was the smartest man I ever met, was basically illiterate. He dropped out of school when he was seven. His father died and my father had to go to work full time on the family farm. 
I remember reading Mark Twain and being fascinated. Then later Steinbeck and my favorite, To Kill A Mockingbird. From there I drifted into science fiction, westerns, historic fiction. I was all over the place with what I read. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I don’t know if I ever wished to be an author, I just had a need to write. That actually started very early. I remember writing one page stories by hand as a child. The hero always died. I loved doing that. 
Then I moved on and the itch came back in college. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s strange. I first wrote my book many years ago. I put it away and tried to forget about it. Wrote two more books, put those away. 
Then I wrote some screenplays, got an agent in Hollywood who shopped them around. Nothing came of it and I put it away again for years. 
Then after Covid, I came back to it wanting to get them out there. 
The process of publishing has been tough, particularly the editing.  I tend to get the story out, then want to move on, but editing and rewriting, with goal of publishing, pushed me to keep at it. Plus I’m terrible with grammar and spelling when I write. It tends to put it out as fast as I can type. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Stick with it. Don’t read what you’ve written, feel like it’s done and move on. Like I did. Also, don’t second guess the quality of what you’ve written too much either. If you don’t believe in what you wrote no one else will. 


Tell us about your book/books:

The first book, which is coming soon, is based on an incident that occurred in my father’s life. It happened when he was eleven years-old, which was in 1922. 
It occurred in East Texas. The thing that happened was horrific. I don’t want to say too much about that. Read the book. I do know that it deeply affected my father. He told me the story of what happened, and to whom it happened. He never told me the why. 
That’s where I started. How could this have happened? How could the best people my father ever knew do the worst thing he could have imagined.  It changed much of his outlook on life. 
There is a strong Christian backbone to the book, but the story contains violence, sex, innocence, betrayal.  You know, life. 
There is a lot of humor in this book because my father was funny and so was my uncle and they are central to the story. In fact, my father is the narrative voice of the story. 
The next book will be called Mustang Texas and it’s about three pals. I don’t want to say much more than that. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I’m finding that other authors and would-be authors, poets, all writers, are very supportive of one another. That is refreshing and uplifting. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Buy my book! It’s a good read. 
You’ll laugh, you’ll wonder at the ways of life “back then”, you will also be shocked. I hope, in the end you’ll be entertained and touched. 


Where can people connect with you?

My author’s site is http://johnwinderauthor.com. You can send messages there. I’ll get back to you. I would love to hear from anyone interested. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview