JD Spero interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Johannah Davies (JD) Spero’s writing career took off when her first release, Catcher’s Keeper, was a finalist in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award in 2013. Her young adult fantasy Forte series has won recognition from National Indie Excellence Award (2014, 2016), Adirondack Literary Award (2015). Her newest release, Boy on Hold, was a winner in the 2020 Book Excellence Award and a 2020 IPPY Gold winner for Best Mystery/Thriller ebook. With a Masters in Education, Spero leverages her years as a high school English teacher in author presentations across the country, most notably at DFW Writers Conference in 2014. Having lived in various cities from St. Petersburg (Russia) to Boston, she’s settled with her husband and three sons in the Adirondack Mountains, where she was born and raised.


When did your love of books begin?

I discovered Lois Duncan in 7th grade and devoured every one of her YA thrillers over and over again. Before that, I'd thought of reading as a chore.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

My writing had always been cathartic, but in my late twenties I wrote my first novel and so enjoyed the process, I was hooked.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I'm forever grateful for small, independent presses for making my dream of getting published come true. At the same time, I'm shocked at how difficult it is to sign with a literary agent.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

You have to love writing first and foremost, and not be tied to any monetary goals.


Tell us about your book/books:

I just signed my 7th and 8th books to be released in 2023. Most of my books are written for adults, in the thriller genre. I also write YA and romance. My stories are character driven, will pull on your heartstrings, and hopefully thought-provoking.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I've met so many writers online who lift me up. Some genuine friendships have emerged from these connections. What a gift.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

If you love my books, tell all your friends! If you hate my books, tell all your enemies! ;)


Where can people connect with you?

Find me and learn about my books at www.jdspero.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview