James Andrew interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is James Andrew.


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books and stories began early, as soon as I learned how to read, and has continued. Along with it came a desire to write stories too, though it’s impossible to say when the ambition to become a novelist was born.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

There is a quite a journey from wanting to have a novel published to succeeding in doing so. It involves studying novels, the first steps in writing and receiving feedback on this, and much more. I learned to write poetry and short stories first and have had both published. I also did an M Litt in Creative Writing at St Andrews University where I really did develop. It was after that I set about learning to write a novel in earnest. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I have found that listening to writers is useful. I often to go author events at Book Festivals. It is not so much what they say that is helpful, though it is. It is picking up on the way that they think. 


If you go to writing groups or writing salons, you get the chance to mix with likeminded people and make friends. You also find encouragement and support. I would say that, though writing is an activity that is conducted in private and on your own, I think it would be very difficult to become a published writer all by yourself. You must put yourself into a situation in which your writing is going to develop and that is in the company of others in the ways that I have described, and feedback is particularly important. 


Tell us about your book/books:

I have had six crime novels published – all by The Book Folks. My first four novels were set just after the First World War, around 1920, and feature a detective called Inspector Blades. I found this an interesting period as so many young men were returning from the trenches, shattered in mind or body, and with the need to rebuild their lives. We read a lot about what happened in the trenches, and much about the mistakes made by the generals, but very little about what life was like when those who survived returned. I attempt to fill this gap.  


The novels are published as a box set on Kindle as The Yorkshire Murders, and are also available individually as The Body Under The Sands, Death Waits For No Lady, The Riddle of the Dunes, and The Suitcase Murderer. 


I have also written two contemporary Tartan Noir novels set in the Highlands. One is a domestic noir and the other is a psychological thriller. They are called Burning Suspicion, and Where Wolves Prowl.  






If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

To my readers I would say: thank you so much for reading my books. There is no point in writing unless what you write is read by someone. I receive a great deal of pleasure in writing books and can only hope that they are also enjoyable to read.  


Where can people connect with you?

I do have a website: www.jasandrew.com. I can be found on Twitter at James Andrew @JamesAn65500599, and am also on Facebook under James Andrew. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview