D.R. Martin interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hey, I’m “D.R.,” or you can just call me Bo. I’m a writer and tattoo artist from Crab Orchard, Kentucky. I’m currently 26 years old and just released my debut novel, “Life Is Problems.” 

I like to write things that keep you on the edge of your seat! Something that you can read the entire way through without ever being bored. 


When did your love of books begin?

My mother has always been an avid reader. She passed that on to me from a very young age. I truly can’t remember a time I wasn’t reading in some form or another. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I tried to write my first story when I was eight. Handwritten in a wide-ruled, one subject notebook, “The Adventures of Marvin Monroy!” 

It was essentially a Sherlock Holmes knock off, I started to write before having any true knowledge of plot, character building, or what even made a good story. Nonetheless, that all went to shambles when my brother got ahold of my notebook and wrote in the back, tarnishing the whole project at the time. So dramatic! 

After a seemingly never ending urge to write something, I finally came up with a cohesive plot circa 2016 and after a few years of polishing came “Life Is Problems” finished earlier this year. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I find it to be one of the most challenging yet fulfilling endeavors I’ve undergone. I’ve fallen in love with the process of creating something from nothing. All the while, hiding little pieces of myself here and there along the way. 

I think there is a lot more than meets the eye when it comes to writing. It requires a lot of vulnerability. Now that I’ve done it myself, I love trying to see where I can find it in others’ work as well. 

I’ve found marketing to be the most challenging aspect of the process as a whole. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Just do it. No matter what credentials you have or lack thereof; your imagination, creativity, and essentially your voice is something that no one can take from you. 

I grew up in the woods of Kentucky, with little to no knowledge on what you have to do or how to even begin to go about it. But if you want to achieve something enough, you always find a way. 


Tell us about your book/books:

“Life Is Problems” is my debut novel. I’ve always had an overly active imagination which attributed a lot to taking on the project. Along with a lot of the emotions and angst that comes along in one’s late teens and early twenties. 

What presents itself as romantic, literary fiction is actually a plot/character driven read sprinkled with commentary on modern society throughout; and is in some sense an allegory to the naivety we are forced to come to terms with as the real world crushes the pre-conceived ideals we set up for ourselves. 

Follow a young Wes Keegan as he sets out to the city of Angels in an attempt to find himself and the life he’s truly destined for. Whether that be for better or worse. 




What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how inclusive it is and how supportive everyone seems to be of one another. In such a “competitive” field, you’d imagine there to be a fair amount of hostility. But in the short time I’ve become actively involved with the community, I’ve never felt so welcome! It’s hard to really find that kind of support most places today. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I want to hear your thoughts! All of them! I wrote this not only for me, but for YOU! I wanna know what you love, what you hate, the emotions you felt reading! Every step along the way, I would love to hear. I put a lot of myself into my work and did my best to make “Life Is Problems” as reader-friendly as possible! Please don’t hesitate to get ahold of me and tell me exactly what you think! Trust me. I love talking about it! 


Where can people connect with you?

A few different ways! Please never hesitate to follow and say hello! 

Twitter: DRMartin_III

Instagram: D.R.Martin_III

TikTok: SecretAccountDRMartin

Email: D.R.MartinAuthor@gmail.com

Get your copy of “Life Is Problems” on Amazon

Or signed copies & hardcovers are available at Linktr.ee/drmartiniii



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview