Diane Youngblood interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi! My name is Diane Youngblood, writing as D M Youngblood. I live outside of Phoenix, AZ with my husband and Pomeranian doggies. My hobbies include knitting, casual gaming, and yes, lots of reading. I was an accountant for over twenty years before I changed careers to information technology, specializing in data analysis and reporting.


When did your love of books begin?

I started reading before I even started school. I have always loved books, and was blessed with parents who believed reading was vital. Every room in my childhood home had an overflowing bookcase. Sometimes, my mother wasn't pleased with my choice of reading material. When I was about ten years old, I began reading Lord of the Flies, which my older brother had read for his much-higher grade level. My mother said I was way too young for that book and took it away, which of course just made me want to read it even more.It seems I've always been a voracious reader. As a teenager, my bookshelf was stacked four layers high. In my thirties, I had a wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling bookcase, which was overflowing. Now, I have multiple bookcases throughout the house, each stuffed with books. Plus my eReader is always full!


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I was about six years old when my mother began scolding me for "telling lies." But I was actually telling stories to friends and family, based on some kernel of truth. I wrote my first poem when I was about ten and my first short story at fourteen. I can't ever remember a time I didn't want to be an author, it's just always been with me as first a dream then a goal.  


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Frustrating, challenging, exhilarating, and terrifying! One of my biggest frustrations is dealing with my disabilities while writing. Brain fog, pain, and fatigue sometimes make the writing process almost impossible, and create additional stress when it comes to deadlines. When it came to writing, I was my own worst enemy for most of my adult life. I never finished a work in process - that little voice in my head would always tell me, "nobody will read this. It's garbage. Don't bother finishing it." So, it was a real challenge to overcome that and finally finish something.I started my debut novel in 2014, revised it six times, and released it in 2018. Clicking on that "publish" button was absolutely terrifying! But I did it, and didn't look back. My second was released in 2020, and I just released my third, in October 2022.Although I regret having a late start to writing for publication, I have so many more stories to tell!


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Don't let your inner voice tell you that you can't do it. Yes, you can!Also, if you're disabled, find a way to work with your condition/s. If you're easily fatigued, take frequent breaks and don't feel guilty about it. Don't let others tell you you're not a "real author" if you don't write every day or release a book every six months. Find the schedule that works for you.Always remember to celebrate your wins, no matter how big or small. Finish the first draft? Have a special dinner or treat! For example, I reward myself with a bit of chocolate, my favorite.


Tell us about your book/books:

I've just completed my first trilogy, a contemporary fantasy for adults called Keeper of the Sphere. It follows Dee Connor, an accountant in her mid-thirties who inherits an Irish cottage from a distant relative, and also becomes the caretaker of an ancient artifact. Tasked with healing Earth, she also meets fantastical creatures from myth and legend, and battles nasty gods and their minions. Along the way, she is faced with multiple challenges, but she has some truly beautiful moments.There is much more to come in the Keeper series. I've structured it into sequential trilogies, similar to the format of the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey. Each trilogy will focus on a different main character, surrounded by the same supporting characters.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how enthusiastic and supportive the writing and reading community is. Writing seemed much more isolated before I realized that a vibrant online community existed, just waiting for me to find it. I've made friends and found fantastic books to read, and now I don't know how I could live without this community.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

First, I'd want to thank each and every reader from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for taking a chance on my work, and I truly hope you enjoy it. (Even if you don't, thanks for giving me a chance!) I don't expect everyone to love my stuff. After all, I don't love everything I read, unfortunately. But I truly hope it connects or resonates with the reader nonetheless.


Where can people connect with you?

I'm on Facebook and Goodreads as DMYoungblood, and on Twitter as dianey2. I also have a website and blog at dmyoungblood dot com. And I have an email, dmyoungbloodauthor at gmail dot com. My Amazon author page is also under D M Youngblood.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview