W.D. Kilpack III interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

W.D. Kilpack III is an award-winning and critically acclaimed internationally published writer, with works appearing in print, online, radio and television, starting with his first publication credit at the age of nine, when he wrote an award-winning poem. As an adult, his first two novels, Crown Prince and Order of Light, both received the Firebird Book Award, while Crown Prince received the The BookFest Award. He also received special recognition from L. Ron Hubbard's Writers of the Future Contest for his novella, Pale Face. He has been editor and/or publisher of 19 news and literary publications, both online and in print, with circulations as high as 770,000. He is an accomplished cook and has two claims he thinks few can match: cooking nearly every type of food on a grill; and nearly being knocked flat when his grill exploded.

 

He received both his bachelor's and master's degrees from Westminster College of Salt Lake City. As an undergrad, he double-majored in communication and philosophy, while completing the Honors Program. As a graduate student, he earned a master of professional communication with a writing emphasis. He was also a high-performing athlete, qualifying for international competition in Greco-Roman wrestling.

 

He is a communication professor and a nationally recognized wrestling coach. He is happily married to his high-school sweetheart and is father to five children, as well as helping to raise five step-children. He was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, where he continues to live, coach and teach.


When did your love of books begin?

I’ve always loved stories and storytelling, for as long as I can remember. I remember my children’s books, like Ferdinand the Bull and Kevin of Devin. But my first real dive into reading was when I received a compilation of comic books that were the first appearances of many of the big-name super heroes, but also some that I had never heard of at the time. In early elementary school, I also started reading Greek and Roman mythology. By the end of third grade, I had read every mythology book my school library had on the subject.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been a writing and telling stories. Before I learned how to write, I would draw pictures of spaceships, then act out the battles, drawing in the laser blasts and explosions after erasing parts of the ships that were blown away by enemies. I’ve blown up the U.S.S. Enterprise 10,000 times. I originally wanted to be a cartoonist and start my own line of comic books. I loved super heroes (and still do!) and would draw the comics, as well as write the stories. My first comic-book character was Super Mouse, created when I was 6. He was pretty much Superman, but a mouse, and he beat up cats. It was very serious stuff, not Tom and Jerry. That was my dream until I wrote my first book, when I was 12. Since then, I always had pencil and paper with me, so I could jot down a few ideas when the need hit me. Since publishing a couple novels, it’s amazing how many people I grew up with mentioned my red, three-ring binder I carried around with me, loaded with lined paper, so I could write down my thoughts as they came to me. That compulsion persists to this day, although I’ve since updated for the computer age.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It really hasn’t been a process. It’s been a lifelong adventure. When I was 9, I wrote a poem that my teacher, Ms. Adams, entered into a contest without my knowledge. It won first place and was published. As a result, I started writing for the school newsletter in fourth grade and drawing the comic strips. In sixth grade, Mrs. Ferrin, who taught my Language Arts and Gifted & Talented classes, let me write a new chapter of a novel for every writing assignment in those two classes over the year, regardless of the actual assignment. As a result, by the end of the year, I wrote my first novel. From that moment on, my career goal changed to novelist.

 

In eighth grade, Mrs. Demond, who was my Computer Science teacher, read my handwritten manuscripts for a sci-fi trilogy I had written, and pulled strings for me to be her student aide, but my time was to be spent typing up my books, since I didn’t have a computer at home. In ninth grade, my Honors English teacher, Mrs. McKinnon, was extremely supportive, reading my stories to the class and persuaded the school to laminate a bunch of maps I had been drawing when creating the setting for that first novel I wrote when I was 12.

 

In tenth grade, Mrs. Sawaya, who taught my Journalism class and was the newspaper and literary-magazine advisor, really pushed me to write. She read my work, got me to take part in newspaper staff as a writer and cartoonist, until I was editor-in-chief my senior year. For the literary magazine, she selected a lot of my writing and art, and I eventually served as editor for two terms. However, when I was 15, I was actually hired to write for the first time. I was offered an editorial position for a sports publication. That made me realize that my teachers weren’t just saying great things to be nice. Funny thing, the sports publication rescinded the offer to be an editor and changed it to a reporter position when I told them I didn’t have a driver license.

 

I stopped counting how many times I was published as a freelancer when it hit 200, I’ve started and edited almost 20 publications, and now I have four novels out, with Rilari: Book Four of New Blood, coming in December 2022.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

The best advice I have is write, write, write. You see a movie and a line of dialogue has you going down another path, write it down. You hear a song and a lyric strikes you, write it down. The best advice for someone wanting to be a writer is just that: start.


Tell us about your book/books:

I have four books out. The epic fantasy New Blood Saga has three books out right now (Crown Prince, Order of Light, and Demon Seed) and I also have a sci-fi novella, Pale Face.

 

Crown Prince Back Cover Copy

Natharr is Guardian of Maarihk, one of a long line of protectors dating back to the Firstborn Age, before the Aa Conquest. Natharr's is an ancient role, rooted in his Firstblood, giving him Sight to see what is yet to be. He adheres to his sacred duties even in the centuries since the Firstborn were forced to the brink of extinction by the Aa.

 

Natharr still stands guard over all men, Aa or Firstborn, Seeing what will come to pass, deciding what is unavoidable and what is not. He spends decades planning how to save the life of the newborn Crown Prince Vikari so he may one day reclaim the throne of the land where Mankind was created, back in the time when the Olde Gods still walked.

 

Order of Light Back Cover Copy

 

Despite the Guardian of Maarihk being condemned as anathema, and his very existence relegated to legend, Natharr resumes his ancient responsibilities as Mankind's protector. He joins with a mysterious Firstborn companion, Ellis the Elder, to journey into the snow reaches of Biraald, where his Sight promises he will find those who secretly adhere to the ways of the Olde Gods.

 

Although Biraaldi bloodlines show their Firstborn heritage more clearly than even in Maarihk itself, the two nations have never enjoyed peace. It has been far worse since the rise of Brandt the Usurper to Maarihk's throne. Natharr and Ellis must navigate the threats not only against the Firstborn, but the Maarihkish, as they seek out the sympathizers he Saw who are brave enough to resist Maarihk's tyranny. Only then can the damage be repaired from when Natharr chose personal happiness with Darshelle and the young crown prince over his weighty responsibilities as Guardian of Maarihk.

 

Demon Seed Back Cover Copy

 

Despite growing power of the forces of chaos, there is a glimmer of hope as Natharr realizes that there are also forces of order in play. It is made plain when he and his comrades escape the faceless realm and Natharr’s Sight is released. It reveals just how strongly the world needs the Guardian of Maarihk and the return of the legendary Knights of Ril to the land where Mankind was created. Racing for home unwittingly leads to unearthing an ancient force created by the Olde Gods, believed lost aeons past.

 

Meanwhile, Darshelle and the crown prince struggle to make the most of their lives without Natharr’s protection. Forced to make their own way, the fruit of Quiet One’s efforts comes fully to bear, as Nathan and his summoned companion reawaken the animus of the ancient wood. The ramifications are horrible and far-reaching, changing their world forever.

 

Pale Face Back Cover Copy

 

            Hector Whitehorse did not belong — not here, not anywhere.

 

Born on a New Mexico reservation, but educated in the white-man’s school, Hector was part of two worlds, but at home in neither. It only got worse when his entrapment went from a feeling to a reality: trapped between Earth and someplace else.

 

Hector’s close encounter nearly cost him his life. The repercussions could make him wish that he had not been so lucky.







What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The support of the writing community has been amazing. Professional reviewers have unanimously praised each of my books. Other authors have been willing to give advice. This has not always been the case, but that is certainly the current climate that I have experienced.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Let’s do this together! Read my stories, tell me what you think, interact, participate and have fun! Some examples are the photos and videos readers have sent me holding my books or reciting the vows of the Knights of Ril after becoming members. I didn’t expect that to happen, but it’s been awesome!


Where can people connect with you?

The best thing is my website, www.Kilpack.net, which has turned into the communication hub of my hopes and dreams. It has information about the books and links to purchase them directly on Amazon, for NOOK or on Kobo. The site also has information about me (if anyone cares); links to interviews; photos sent to me by readers holding my books; videos of people who joined the Knights of Ril (which you can also do on the site), then videoed themselves reciting the vows of a Knight of Ril and sent them to me; links to my author pages on Amazon and Goodreads, and other information. It’s been pretty amazing, and certainly unanticipated, to have people sending me those kinds of responses. My website also includes links to my social media at the bottom of the home page or the top of the About page.

 

Web Site and Social Media Links

 

Website and Social Media Pages:

Official Web Site: http://www.kilpack.net

Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/W.D.-Kilpack-III/e/B07TT3RQYT

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/19339956.W__Kilpack_III

BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/w-d-kilpack-iii

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/wdkilpackiii/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/WDKilpackIII

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100077173903372

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/WDKilpackIII/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview