Nolcha Fox interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I've written ever since I could get my grubby little hands on anything that would leave a mark on walls, notebooks, page margins, and journals.

But I never thought I called myself a writer until I fell into a job as a technical writer. Getting paid made it real.

I wrote creatively on and off, but never seriously until I retired.


When did your love of books begin?

My mother has always been an avid reader. I think I was born with words baked into my body. Reading was as much a part of me as writing.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

It didn't occur to me that I could actually pull off a book until just before my first chapbook was published. It wasn't a wish so much as the realization that I had enough poems to submit a chapbook.

I get individual poems published regularly, but that's not quite the same.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's been a process of happy stumbles. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write what you love. Love what you write. Trust your gut.

When you get a rejection, it means you can find a better home for your work.

Be patient (I'm still working on that one). It takes time to write something to be proud of. It takes time to submit. It takes time to get responses. If you want things to happen fast, put on some rollerskates or drive a race car - don't write.

Build your writing community by following people, reading their work, and commenting. And by giving back (offer to do reviews, interviews, back-cover blurbs).

Do one thing every day. Write, edit, read works by other authors, submit, write a review, set up an interview. Just one thing.

After you publish, be aware that you will have to market your book. You will have to sell your book. Even if you're an introvert like me, you will have to get out in front of people for poetry readings, interviews, and podcasts.

Don't expect to get rich, not right away, and maybe never.


Tell us about your book/books:

"My Father's Ghost Hates Cats" and "The Big Unda" are both filled with outright quirky poems, some of which have been accused of being serious.
“My Father’s Ghost Hates Cats” 
“The Big Unda” 
"How to Get Me Up in the Morning" is a collaboration of poetry and photography with my dearest long-time friends, Jill and Scott Kalter. It is my third chapbook, but the first that incorporates writing and art. https://www.amazon.com/How-Get-Morning-Collaboration-Photography/dp/B0BF31V4T3/ Hopefully in October 2022, my fourth book, "Why Chicken Explodes in the Microwave," will be published. More outrageous poetry. That's what I do.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the support and the friendships I've developed. Writing is a lonely business, and the community helps bolster my spirits, especially when I hit those periods where words want to have nothing to do with me. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

If you enjoy what I wrote, contact me and let me know. Tell your friends and relatives to buy the book. If so inclined, leave a review on Amazon or Goodreads or both.


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter: @NolchaF
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nolcha.fox/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview