Nico Bell interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Nico Bell, and I am a horror author, editor, book reviewer, and I am also an online writing tutor. I love all things spooky and I'm thrilled for the chance to be here. Thank you for having me!


When did your love of books begin?

I actually didn't like reading as a child. I was a slow reader, and I always felt a lot of pressure from the adults in my life to improve my reading skills. Books became a source of anxiety for me. Then, I met my high school senior English teacher who sparked my love of books by allowing me (and my class) to select the novels we wanted to read. Giving me that control helped. From there, I became an avid reader.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I've wanted to be a writer since third grade. It's been a lifelong dream. While I didn't read a lot as a kid, I was always scribbling in notebooks or my journal. In fact, I wrote a story about a young girl whose family was moving out of state and she had to come to grips with the transition. My third grade teacher let me read it to the class which was a big boost of validation for my young self.
Writing has been a huge and important part of my life. I sometimes hear people talk about what has "saved" them, and for me, it was writing. It's always been a source of calm, therapy, and creativity.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's a rollercoaster! Somedays, it's the most incredible job on the planet, and other days, I wonder what the heck I've gotten myself into. Of course, I wouldn't want to do anything else, even on those rough days, but this industry is a wild ride.
There are a lot of rejections, some wonderfully constructive and some that rip your soul out of your body and trample it to the ground. The first professional critique of my work was way back in 2012 when I made the decision to really dig my heels into this industry. I entered a contest, and I got feedback from three big names. Two were constructive, and the other brought me to tears. Even after ten years, it's still the harshest and meanest feedback I've ever gotten.
On the flip side, this industry can provide an incredible community of support, especially the indie horror community. I started my writing journey in the inspirational romance world, and when I switched genres, I was worried I wouldn't find the same supportive groups that romance offers. I was wrong. The horror community is a fantastic group of individuals, and I'm thrilled to be a part of it.
Overall, the process for becoming an author has been a long journey with a lot of peaks and dips, but I've loved it. I have a lot more goals to reach, so really, my journey is ongoing.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I'm not sure I can offer any tips that haven't been told already. I think it's important to write the stories you want to read rather than trying to fit into the current book market. Take mental health breaks as needed. Try not to compare yourself to others because everyone is on their own writing journey. Remember that writing is supposed to be fun, so if it's become a painful task, try to take a step back and remember why you started writing and what it means to you. Those tips have been helpful to me over the years.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first published book was Food Fright. High school junior Cassie Adler just wanted the bullying to stop. She thought gaining a spot on the varsity soccer team would whip up instant friends, but it isn't until the popular girls need Cassie's help that they acknowledge her presence. Cassie reluctantly agrees to participate in a prank that turns sour fast. Now with blood on their hands, she and the popular girls race to cover their tracks. But something savage knows what they've done, and it's hungry for revenge. Can Cassie redeem herself before it's too late, or will her deadly sins ketchup to her? 
My recent book is called Beyond the Creek. When Alex Foster accepted the caregiver position with the eccentric Nox family, she was issued a single rule. Don’t wander past the creek. Alex isn’t interested in exploring the Nox’s vast wooded property. After escaping an abusive past, her sole focus is building a safe future for herself and her unborn baby. Except, a series of chilling events threatens her happily-ever-after. Now, she must fight to survive an ancient evil before all hope is lost.

There’s something beyond the creek, and it’s hungry.

I also edited and published a horror anthology entitled Shiver:A Chilling Horror Anthology. Grab a cozy blanket, pour some bourbon in your hot chocolate, and gather around the fireplace. It’s about to get chilly! This un-brrr-lievable anthology presents 30 spooky stories exploring the depths of madness and terror unique to the cold. Whether it’s a chilling twist on the final girl trope, a mysterious Japanese spirit knocking on a cabin door, or something sinister born out of urine soaked snow, this frigid collection is packed with tales that will send a shiver down your spine. Get ready. A blizzard is coming.

I co-edited a fat-positive horror anthology with Sonora Taylor. I'm especially proud of the positive and empowering message of this collection. It's entitled Diet Riot: A Fatterpunk Anthology. 

"Diet Riot: A Fatterpunk Anthology" features twelve fat-positive horror tales of people who come into their own, celebrate their curves, and save the day. There are babysitters and bakers, thieves and roller derby stars. Young women unsure about their bodies meet demons and water spirits who offer assistance-in their own way, of course. Danger lurks in hospitals, in the mysterious occult shop in the local mall, and in a house filled with cats. Campers, trash collectors, and house flippers alike uncover nasty secrets underground. A myriad of horrors await you-none of which comes at the expense of fat bodies.

It's time to reclaim the "f" word.

Finally, I'm co-editing a body autonomy charity anthology with Roxie Voorhees. The title hasn't been announced yet, but the collection should be coming out in December through Creature Publishing.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Everything! Seriously, I love every bit of it. There is an overwhelming amount of genuine support within the writing and reading community. We cheer each other on, celebrate successes, and boost each other's work.

For new writers trying to find their community, I suggest joining and engaging in Twitter and TikTok. Popular hashtags are #writingcommunity, #booktok, #horrortok. #HorrorFamily, #WritersCafe.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you!!! Thank you so much for reading my books and going on this writing journey with me! I couldn't make my dreams a reality if it weren't for readers, so I'm incredibly grateful and humble everytime I see someone post a pic of my book or see that they've written a review or bought my stories. Thank you a thousand times!


Where can people connect with you?

I have a website at www.nicobellfiction.com

I'm also on Twitter, TikTok, and Instagram all with the name @nicobellfiction.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview