Kevin interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’m 33 and live in Belgium, but most of my writing is in English. I enjoy reading across many genres, and write with a slightly cynical pen. I’ve recently finished my debut young adult novel and enjoy movies (like a lot) and playing DnD (perhaps even more), and occasionally tasting craft beers with my friends.


When did your love of books begin?

To be honest, I am a bit of a late bloomer in that department. I’ve always enjoyed writing, and even book assignments in school, but I was more interested in other things at the time. As for an active love for reading, that came later when I was in my early twenties. Particularly after reading F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, which is still one of my favorite books to this day.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

As mentioned I have written, or rather scribbled things for the better part of my life. After I finished Gatsby I dove into other works of Fitzgerald, Hemmingway and later Steinbeck. I was obsessed with how they twisted and turned words into sentences that made up entire pages. It took a hold on me, and actually even helped me cope at times. This made me dip my toes into the waters of writing more seriously myself. Though, after always getting stuck a few chapters in, I gave up for a while, thinking it wasn’t for me. Little did I know.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

After I picked up the pen again about three years ago, I knew I had to work through the knots I would face during the process. The problem was, I didn’t know how. So, I finally decided to follow a an online course via Coursera. It helped me a lot in knowing my strengths as a writer, as well as working on my weaknesses. Writing isn’t a consistent flow of easy pages just magically appearing on paper and it was important for me to learn that through trial and error (I’ve always been stubborn enough wanting to make the mistakes myself to learn from them).


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Don’t give up just because you’re facing difficulties along the way. They’ll surely be there, but working through them makes you a better writer. Try out what works for you. There’s lots of styles, genres and flavors of writing and they’re all valued by an audience. Find what works for you and eventually, you’ll find your audience. Also rewrite, like a lot.


Tell us about your book/books:

My debut young adult novel, Party Anthem of a Teenage Fuck-Up is currently in the querying stage. It’s a dark, inspiring coming-of-age tale where we take a closer look into the life of Alexander Brown, a seventeen-year-old boy trying to get a grasp on life, and his journey through what possibly is the toughest year of his life. He tumbles into the slippery slope of self-doubt, addiction, and the ever-confusing turmoil that is teenage love.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

It’s amazing to see how people with completely different lives, backgrounds and interests come together and find common ground in this thing we all love: books. More people should take example in that.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

That any feedback and support is genuinely, and greatly appreciated. It’s because of them that people like me can keep writing. Without anyone to read our books, this writing gig would look a whole lot different. Keep devouring those pages and allow yourself to completely disappear in the stories you enjoy so much. It’s the most beautiful thing in the world. It heals.


Where can people connect with you?

For now, mostly through social media. I’m active on Instagram and Twitter (@kevs_writes on both) so give me a follow and say hi. It helps artists a lot if you interact with their posts. Any updates on my writing and daily randomness can be found on those platforms. I also play a great deal of DnD, so if you enjoy that my Instagram is double the fun.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview