Jacqueline E Alexander interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi, I am Jacqueline Alexander, author of Wizzy’s Words.  As an early year’s teacher my classroom observations led me to investigate the number of children entering school with poor oral vocabulary.  My research showed that these children start school behind and then tend to stay behind and under perform at age 5, 7, 11, 16…  These children then become adults that are over-represented in the mental health, prison and jobless populations.  I wrote Wizzy’s Words, re-worked nursery rhymes for preschoolers and beyond with the aim of starting to ‘fill the gap’.


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books evolved from reading Enid Blyton’s, Ragamuffin Mystery as a child.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I didn’t wish to become an author.  I was 'invisibly' grabbed, kicking and screaming to improve access to reading and learning for more children.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The process of becoming an author has been blessed with appropriate praise and constructive criticism from colleagues, family and friends who have shared my journey. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Go for it.  If it’s in you it has to come out!


Tell us about your book/books:

Book 1 –WIZZY'S WORDS | Book of 70 new illustrated, re-worked nursery rhymes | With each rhyme’s key oral vocabulary on the facing page | An ideal first book, from birth, for word and language play and actions and interactions

Book 2 - #WIP | A selection of the rhymes with actions (based on further research linking the natural rhythm of the brain and body for learning)



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the fact that the writing/reading community is supportive, informative and welcoming to all.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

When the going gets tough, and it will at times, keep going.


Where can people connect with you?

People can connect with me on all the usual channels.  Just search Wizzys Words. (Twitter  Facebook  Instagram  Pinterest) – and can also go to my website www.wizzyswords.co.uk for more information, samples and to get in touch.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview