C.A. Hicks interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Chelsi. I am 29 years old and live in Wisconsin. I love horror movies, hiking, reading books, and cuddling with my two cats. Above all, my biggest passion though is writing stories. I’m currently querying my first book, The Strykers.


When did your love of books begin?

I’ve loved books since I was a child. My parents read me books every night before bed and once I was old enough, I started reading them myself. It didn’t take me long for books to become one of my favorite pastimes. I went through them so fast that my librarian didn’t believe I actually read them! When I wasn’t reading, I was writing any chance I got. I scribbled in notebooks and filled them to the brim with stories.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I started dreaming of becoming an author in middle school. I admired the authors of my favorite books and dreamed of having my own stories published and sitting in libraries or book stores.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I’ve found my writing process by finding what works best for me. I’m not an outliner or massive organizer with my writing. I write by the seat of my pants as ideas and concepts come to me. Once I have my first draft, I have a beta readers or critique group read it and give me their constructive criticism. From there, I edit and sometimes rewrite. I will go through many different drafts of writing, editing and rewriting before I come to a final draft. This is my own process though and I’m sure a lot of writers do it differently.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Practice makes perfect. The more you write, the better you’ll get. I’ve found reading books on the side also helps a lot. This way you see the writing style and craft of other authors. Once you have a first draft, you should find a writer’s critique group in your area. This can be a great way to polish your writing and hone your craft.


Tell us about your book/books:

I currently have one book, The Strykers, which I’m currently querying. The Strykers is a YA Urban Fantasy novel. One night, Brooke runs into a young man, Kevin Stryker, on the highway. Kevin is a fugitive with extraordinary abilities who is attempting to clear his name of a horrible crime. Brooke is dragged into his messy world, which features a family of superhumans, a group of vengeful aliens and a team of agents attempting to keep the order. She soon must decide: either help Kevin clear his name or die alongside him.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how supportive and welcoming the community is. When I was younger, I always imagined the writers’ world would be cutthroat and competitive. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Everyone is incredibly helpful, supportive and friendly. We all want each other to succeed.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I poured my heart and soul into this book. My only hope for readers is that they enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.


Where can people connect with you?

I can be found on Twitter. My handle is @CAHicks13.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview