Brianna R. Shaffery interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi! I’m Brianna R. Shaffery, and I’m a debut author currently writing a young adult fantasy trilogy. Aside from my love of literature, I love music and constantly have something playing in the background whether I’m writing, baking, and yes, even while I’m reading! Writing is a huge part of my life, and I’m so happy to share my works with others and be able to say “Welcome to Tenebris,” which is the fictional backdrop in my Heirs of Tenebris trilogy.


When did your love of books begin?

I don’t remember when my love of literature began, only that words and stories and all these books I’ve read over the years have become an integral part of me. When I was in elementary school, I loved writing stories and coming up with these imaginary worlds. Whether it’s something I’m working on or my next read, there’s a good chance it’s fantasy, but I also love a good mystery or historical fiction.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

It was sometime around my eighth-grade graduation. It was kind of weird though, because it wasn’t necessarily a conscious decision-making process so much as an epiphany that hit me like a bolt of lightning. The clouds parted and bam! I realized I wanted to spend my life writing down the stories living inside my head, and I couldn’t be happier doing so now!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

If anything, I've learned that everyone has their own unique process and you have to find what works for you. What I found that works best for me is to just get it all down and then go back and edit it. As far as the post-publication or promotion and social aspect of “becoming an author” goes, all I’ve wanted was to be authentic. I want people to know that when they interact with my writing or my social media, they’re interacting with me, not a marketing team or a salesperson. That’s led me to realize I want my writing to become a sort of home-away-from-home for people, which resulted in the phrase “Welcome to Tenebris,” an unofficial tagline for my YA fantasy series, the Heirs of Tenebris trilogy.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Follow your heart. I know it might sound cliché, but if you can’t truly believe in what you’re writing because you’re missing a passion for your WIP, then it’s time to write something else, something that will make you happy. It’s a rollercoaster ride of the highest joys and the most soul-crushing lows, but it’s more than worth it when you get to hold your book in your hands for the first time. And as far as publishing paths go, you have to choose the right path for you and your works, no matter what anyone may try to tell you. You know your works and your heart best, so stick to it and find your niche in the writing community.


Tell us about your book/books:

My Heirs of Tenebris trilogy is a YA epic fantasy series in the making. The first book, Fire & Flight, is available for purchase, but I’m super excited to share that book two, Embers of Eternity is on its way with book 3 on its heels!

Adventure to the fictional country of Tenebris and meet main characters, Nyla and Xander, as they grapple with their personal journeys and navigate the myths of the Shadow Forest. As Nyla learns to wield her newfound magic, the pair soon realize that the legends surrounding the Shadow Forest may hold more truth in them than the people of Tenebris give them credit. Searching for answers about her magic, Nyla and Xander discover a great threat lurking in the shadows that could bring terrible devastation to the country.

I’m super excited to share more things about the sequel as my team and I move through the publishing process!


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The amazing support aside, I love seeing everyone’s snippets and artwork! I’ve “met” so many other writers and readers across all of social media, but the really dangerous part of all of this, for me anyway, is how much my TBR has grown since connecting with other writers!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

THANK YOU, A MILLION TIMES THANK YOU! I’ve completely run out of ways to express my gratitude, but please know that every time you message me to either say you’ve grabbed your copy of Fire & Flight or when I see a new review pop up, it makes my day! I hope you all enjoy your time in Tenebris and are just as excited as I am to continue Nyla’s, Xander’s, and Shamira’s journey in book two, Embers of Eternity!


Where can people connect with you?

I’m pretty much everywhere: Tumblr (@world-of-fire-and-flight), TikTok (@brswrites), Facebook (BRSWritesOfficial), Twitter (brswrites), Instagram (brs_writes), and of course, my website (brswrites.com) and newsletter (which you can sign up for on my website’s homepage to receive exclusive access to the archives of Tenebris including bonus content and deleted scenes)!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Claude Bouchard interview