Shannon Reber interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

Childhood! My mom was always reading to me. I have cassette tapes (yes, I'm that old!) of Mom recording herself reading to me so I could play it back whenever I wanted. And she was always getting me audiobooks from the library. I've been obsessed with stories since birth, really.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Junior year in high school. I'd always loved books, but all my English teachers before then had nothing good to say about my writing. Until Junior year, that is. Mr. Landy told me he'd be shocked if I didn't turn out to be a writer. My first published book was dedicated to him. I didn't start actually writing until I was in my mid-twenties, but I never forgot the one teacher who ever saw potential in me.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The process is grueling. Agonizing over getting the story out in just the right way, rewriting twenty-seven times, changing character names, then editing some more. It's tough, but that's what I love about it. These stories mean something to me and if it was easy, I wouldn't have the glorious feeling of accomplishment while hitting the PUBLISH button! Oh, but the promotion aspect is kind of a killjoy sometimes. I never used to worry about the numbers...until I started doing audiobooks. Now I'm back to worrying my narrators will give up on me as a couple of them already have. I adore writing. I wouldn't give it up no matter what! But marketing - if I ever have a few spare cents, I'm going to pay somebody else to do that junk.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

YES! Do it! Don't let other people discourage you. They think they're helping, but most people's advice will make you feel stupid, inadequate, and like a failure. You are not a failure. Writing is a fabulously amazing process that's rewarding even when you're worried about it. Find your story, figure out how you want to tell it, and then just do it. It's really that simple. No, it's not fast or without trials, but it's worth the effort. Do what works for you, not what other people tell you to do. Everyone's process is different. Find yours and you're on your way!


Tell us about your book/books:

Last year, I started having my books made into audiobooks. I have around 70 titles out there and 29 of them are in audiobook form. My most recent is The Madison Meyer Mystery Series (Vol 1-3 and 3 short stories). It's a paranormal mystery series that now has 9 books, but it'll go on forever. (I hope.) Maddie is my favorite character I've ever written. My narrator did an amazing job making the stories FEEL real. Please, check them out! https://www.audible.com/pd/B0B982BQPT/?source_code=AUDFPWS0223189MWT-BK-ACX0-318500&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_318500_rh_us


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how strangers can bond while talking about a book they've both read, or ones they want to read. I own a bookshop in my town, and the people who come in are always excited to tell me about the books they love and hate. I love that we ARE a community. There are people I've met made online just through talking about books that I consider real, lifelong friends. And if anybody wants to talk about Irish mythology with me, I'll be in heaven!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Hold on tight. There's so much more to come!! In the last 7 years, I've put out close to 70 fantasy tales. Some of them aren't that good, but some are ones I'm legitimately proud to have my name on. And if you've read my books, thanks. I write as an escape from reality. If I've given you an escape, then I've done my job. I hope my stories have helped you as much as they helped me. And I love you guys. Thanks so much for all your support!


Where can people connect with you?

My Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Shannon-Reber-1450668291923946/

My Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ShannonArtWrite

My Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/14219796.Shannon_Reber

My Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/authorshannonreber/?hl=en   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview