Nakhati Jon interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My pen name is Nakhati Jon which comes from the Tajik langue meaning “Sweet aroma.” As an educator, I hope those I reach will receive my presentation as a pleasing or dear (jon) fragrance. Living in numerous Islamic societies for about thirty years, I have great respect for these communities, so I write to create a better understanding of how the Bible and Quran contrast different concepts, especially concerning marriage. 


When did your love of books begin?

I started as a slow reader in grade school and hated to read as a child. My sister encouraged me to read, but to no avail. Then as a teen, I got involved in a youth group at a local church that rewarded us when we read one of the books. Well, the first book was about a doctor who served in Bangladesh (Daktar by Viggo Olsen); I could not put the book down and fell in love with a sense of hope. Thus, my faith in Christ gave me a love for reading. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

In Central Asia, I found a book in the local language called, How to Train your Wife? The title intrigued me, so I purchased the book and started to read similar books which the bazaar promoted. I realized the great chasm in practice between what these writers were saying and what Christianity said. I began to write to contrast the difference and this research became a book in the local language (with help from a dear Central Asian man). The more I researched, the more I desired to write to bring clarity – which my dissertational work stimulated. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I love to get things checked off my list, but writing requires much re-writing, editing, and proofing. I find the process tedious but realize submitting mediocre work will close the book for readers. I have taken two classes on publishing, attended numerous webinars on sorted writing subjects, and continually seek to read about the process (currently reading Writing Better by Andrew T. LePeau). I enjoy blocks of time to write and attempt a significant time each week when possible. With my checklist approach for editing, I break down items into smaller parts, like rewriting all my intro sentences, reading for repeated ideas, and looking to eliminate words such as: be, it, and the unlabeled-this. For me, the process consists of 25% writing but 75% editing and rewriting. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write something every day. If you enjoy this, then specialize in a genre or subject. In the book, Write your Book on the Side by Hassam Osman, he suggests writing at least fifteen minutes daily. I think his practical advice could encourage many who desire to write. I love Dr. Joseph M. Stowell’s words, “Life is not determined by the dreams you dream but by the choice you make.” If you want to write, you must choose to set aside time, space, and quiet for this dream. 


Tell us about your book/books:

I am currently writing a series called Exploring Marriage in an Islamic Context. This series will contrast foundational concepts from the Bible and the Quran concerning marriage. Today much misunderstanding takes place between biblical covenant marriage and Islamic contract marriage. These books meet this need to help those touched by an Islamic community and possibly those married or thinking of marrying a Muslim.

Os Guinness is famous for saying, "Contrast is the mother of clarity." This clarity became a reality for our life in Central Asia and the Middle East. As the Islamic systems of thought emerged around us, our biblical perspective exposed glaring differences. In my writing, I share what many couples in this context have said about marriage and what we observe despite our minority presence in these communities.

The first book in the series Searching Below the Surface: A Deeper look at Covenant and Contract exposes the difference between the deity of the Bible and the Quran. The next book, Defining Marriage: Sketching the Difference between Covenant and Contract, will give practical definitions and practices to clarify how couples can avoid contract tendencies and move toward greater oneness. When this book comes out, I will also release a Western-based version to contrast with secular contract marriage. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Diversity breeds creativity. I hope to glean an education by interacting with the writing community. Shakil Choudhury said in Deep Diversity, “Enhancing diversity, inclusion, and equity requires both learning and unlearning about others and ourselves.” I make no mistakes in realizing that my genre is quite a subgroup of readers, but learning/unlearning has become part of my journey. In the spirit of Choudhury, I would say enhancing education, empathy, and apologetics requires both wisdom to relate and insight to understand our faith and the spirituality of others.

For the reading community, I welcome and love to hear their insights into the challenges in relating to any interactions with a Muslim community. Please connect with me on Twitter: NakhatiJ or my blog: www.Nakhatijon.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview