Miriam Spitzer Franklin interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I've loved books my whole life! My mom introduced me to a world of books, and my earliest memories include weekly visits to the library.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

It started when I was old enough to write my own stories. I wrote my first "book" in kindergarten. My teacher was so enthusiastic she sent me to the other classrooms to share it with them.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's been a long journey from writing my first manuscript to publication, filled with a lot of twists and turns along the way. But during those years before my first offer of publication, I learned so much about craft and connected with many wonderful writers. Writing can be such a lonely pursuit and it's so important to find people who get what you're going through and are there to support you through the ups and downs.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

While everyone hears about those quick success stories, most authors have been working on their craft and write multiple books before signing with an agent. Even then, there's no guarantee your book will be accepted by a publisher. When I'm struggling with rejections, I tell myself this: The only way to guarantee failure is to give up. (Chocolate helps, too!) Focus on the reason you write: to create the stories you need to tell. Keep at it! Everyone's path is different.


Tell us about your book/books:

My debut, Extraordinary (2015): Pansy's best friend is having surgery that she hopes will cure her after a brain injury, and she's determined her friend will wake up and forgive her for all her broken promises. So she sets a goal to become an extraordinary person in 14.5 weeks, just in time for her BFF's triumphant return.

Call Me Sunflower (2017): Eleven-year-old Sunny comes up with a "totally awesome plan" to get her parents back together, but first must reconcile their past and present or risk losing their future after she finds a photo that changes everything.
Emily Out of Focus (2019): Eleven-year-old Emily thinks her trip to China to adopt her little sister is the perfect opportunity to win a photojournalist contest. Instead, she gets pulled into helping a new friend search for her birthmother, discovering more about herself and her dreams in the process.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

First of all, I love hearing about new books!
It is great to connect with other writers, supporting each other through our writing journeys. Finding the right critique partners who know how to zero in on what's missing in a manuscript without crushing someone's spirit has made all the difference.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I hope you find both windows and mirrors while you read: windows into someone's life whose background and experiences are different from yours, but also a mirror that reflects back parts of yourself. Thank you so much for picking up my book and giving it a chance!


Where can people connect with you?

@miriam_spitzer


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview