John Ryland interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

A little introduction:

I am from Tuscaloosa County, Alabama, and have lived here most of my life. After high school, I joined the Navy and traveled a lot, then returned home. I pay the bills as a paint contractor, but my dream has always been to be a full-time writer. When I’m not writing or working, I spend time with my two sons, a 4th grader and a 9th grader. At 53, that in and of itself is a full-time job. I enjoy reading, movies, and gardening. I always enjoy the surprise of people when they see our backyard for the first time. It’s my happy place and it shows.


When did your love of books begin?

I have always loved to read. In elementary school, I read every one of the Hardy Boys Mysteries. (Did I mention that I’m old) There must have been a hundred of them. I like to think that those books were what started my love of reading. My childhood was less than idyllic, so reading was a wonderful escape.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I guess I’ve always written stories. I wrote my first novel at 14. It was horrible I’m sure, but it was the beginning. I wrote another at 16 and then two more later on. None of these ever saw the light of day, but it did teach me a lot about writing a novel.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The process of becoming a serious author for me just began in 2019. I didn’t write for about 18 years because of some personal family situations and an overall lack of support, but the fire always burned within me. In 2019 I sat down and wrote the first draft of my novel Souls Harbor in two weeks. After that, the flood gates opened. I’ve written five novels since then. Two of them and a collection of short stories are self-published, two have been traditionally published, and three currently await decisions. It feels like a long journey, and I’ve learned so much, but it hasn’t been nearly as long as some authors’ journeys.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

To anyone wanting to be an author, I’d tell them to grow a thick skin. As I’ve said, I’ve had two novels traditionally published, but they garnered probably fifty rejections between them. I’ve also had 14 short stories published in journals. Among them, I’ve probably collected a couple of hundred rejections. It can be discouraging, but you have to keep moving forward, keep honing your craft, and stay after it. Very few people will become successful overnight.


Tell us about your book/books:

Souls Harbor is the tale of two very different, very strong young southern women. Both have suffered through events that changed their lives, but when they reconnect after being apart for years, each of them draws strength from the other.

Shatter is the story of a young girl made of glass who is yearning to live a normal life. When she meets the new boy in school, the chance becomes available and she seizes the opportunity. Unfortunately, the world is full of hard edges and can be dangerous for a girl made of glass.

Southern Gothic is a collection of short stories that run the gamut of the genre. From dystopian to science fiction, the stories paint the picture of normal people put into extraordinary circumstances. There are straight-up horror stories, tales of redemption, and revenge. It includes a novella about a box found in the water and the first chapter to my first traditionally published novel.

Peripheral is the tale of a young woman who hits her head in a seemingly harmless fall but finds herself in a strange shadow world where she can see and hear everyone around her, but cannot interact with them. With the help of the ghost of a young girl she has seen all her life, she finds out that she is in The peripheral, a place where monsters are very real and very powerful. Together, they must navigate this strange world and find a way to get Camille back into her body before the demon who now possesses it destroys it, locking her in the Peripheral forever.

The Man with no Eyes takes place in the Saudi Arabian desert. When a renowned surgeon refuses to use unwilling test subjects, he finds himself at odds with the lab’s maniacal director. To punish him the director, Alain Savon, had his eyes removed to use in an experiment the lab is running. What they do not know is that he also has the ability to control every function of his body, down to a cellular level. He uses this ability and his genius intellect to escape the Facility, but finds himself lost in the desert. When he is found by a Yemini woman who has troubles of her own, they decide to destroy the Facility together, but the desert that lies between them and the lab is the least of their worries.

The Unkindness of Ravens will be released this fall. It is the story of a troubled young girl who follows a raven into the woods behind her house. When she finds the body of a young boy, she takes on the role of protecting it from a nearby flock of ravens who want to devour it. As her haunted past resurfaces, the body and the ravens both become an obsession.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing community is wonderful. It helps to be around other writers, even if it isn’t in person. It shows you that the troubles you encounter aren’t yours alone. It’s great to celebrate the victories of other writers, and share I the pain of rejection. I think it makes everyone a better writer. I’ve found some really great people through it.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

The first thing I’d like to tell them is that I’m okay. Lol. Some of the stuff I write is really dark and twisted, but I’m not a nutcase. I swear. Of course, that is the first thing a nut case would say, but I really am okay. The next thing is thank you. I have some great fans who are loyal and supportive. I don’t think any writer could exist without people like that in their lives, especially early on.


Where can people connect with you?

The place I usually send people who want to check out my work is my website.  https://www.gspress.com but I am also on Twitter @johnryland10, Instagram at @zsuzsu2W and Facebook at https://facebook.com/JRylandtheWriter  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview