Jessie McDonald interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hello, my name is Jessie McDonald. I am a single mother from Southern Indiana, and I am a Christian. I absolutely love children. Some of my hobbies include painting, writing, listening to music (and playing it), reading, and playing video games. Apart from working on the, "Where Destiny Decides" series, I write the occasional blog on Vocal or Reedsy. 


When did your love of books begin?

I have loved books for as long as I can remember. My dad and mom both read to me from infancy, and as soon as I was able to read on my own, I constantly did. They instilled in me a love of reading early on that has withstood the test of time.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I have been a writer since early elementary school. Writing has always been therapeutic to me; I have journals and notebooks filled with journal entries, song lyrics, poems, and short stories. It wasn't until 2014 that I tossed around the idea of actually writing a novel for publication, but the thought intimidated me to the core. In my opinion, it's a monumental accomplishment to put your words out into the world. For a multitude of reasons, I equated publishing a book with climbing Mount Everest. After admiring so many authors throughout the course of my lifetime, I constantly wondered if I could measure up to any of those beloved authors. I didn't want to fail, and I let the fear of failure hold me back from even trying for several years. After the encouragement of several close family members and friends, I decided that this was the year that I wanted to try to publish. I still equate publishing a book with climbing Mount Everest, but my perspective is entirely different now.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's been rewarding beyond measure; completing each step of the process was like opening a Christmas present to me. It's extremely hard work, and I've discovered that writing the actual story is only half of the work. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

You have to be willing to put in the work, that's the biggest piece of advice I could give. The second piece of advice I would like to share is to not expect perfection. Writing is like every other trade or craft, you must hone your craft by working diligently and constantly practicing. Oh, and maybe one more piece of advice - be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day, nothing great ever was or will be.


Tell us about your book/books:

Here is the blurb for my debut novel, "Where Destiny Decides: Truth Revealed". It is the first of a three-part series.

From each and every transgression or misdeed, ramifications arise that are beyond our control. 

The kings of Avalaria have left behind a world that is dying. From the elves in the south to the dragons in the north, all the races of the world are in peril. King Drustan condemns the elves, accusing them of stealing the substance that brings life to their world… magic. Declaring war against them, he arranges a marriage between his brother, Prince Alaric, and a wealthy countess to fortify his forces and fill Avalaria’s coffers. Unbeknownst to Alaric, the iniquities of his forefathers are set to change the trajectory of his life forever. 

As he uncovers a prophecy and a message from beyond the grave, a monumental truth buried in the past is exposed to him. The revelation of his destiny thrusts Alaric into a harrowing series of trials that abruptly forces him from his home. His destiny pits him against his deluded brother as he races against a fearsome darkness and time itself to unite the world and restore it to its former glory. 

Alaric’s ventures and tribulations echo the compelling questions that have distressed humanity to the core since the inception of time itself. Can goodness, love, and light ever hope to conquer evil? Does truth genuinely free us? Is our destiny truly our own?


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I especially love the reading/writing community of Twitter because everyone (for the most part) is incredibly friendly and supportive. I figured it would be a "dog eat dog" world because everyone obviously wants to sell their books, articles, etc. But I have seen so many kind people offering to proofread and edit pieces for free and give ideas. Everyone (for the most part) builds each other up, and it has been a great joy to be a part of that community. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I only have beta readers at the moment since I'm not officially published, but I want to thank everyone that has read my book or will read it in the future. One of my biggest goals in all of this was to create an enthralling, enjoyable means of escape from the troubles of the outside world. The stories of all of the authors that have gone before me are so incredibly linked to the person I have become. Their books are like old friends. They are consistent and reliable, and always there for me when I need them. My biggest hope is that I've created and will continue to create the same experience for my readers.


Where can people connect with you?

Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok: @jessiem_writes
Facebook: Jessie McDonald


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview