Jane Buckley interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I've read for as long as I can remember, and it was my way of hiding from the world and opening up that wild imagination of mine. As a child, I'd get teased by my siblings about disappearing upstairs to read! Since then, and like many, way before mobile phones, I'd do the daily commute in and out of London and read, read, read. I always remember if I ever forgot my book, I was devastated! Reading to me is my lifeline; it keeps me grounded!


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I never started out to become an author, and it's still a bit surreal. I suddenly decided on the first Monday of January 2017 that I was going to write a book. I'd had an idea in my head; I knew the last few words of the story, and that was that! I sat down and wrote, and boy, have I learned a lot since!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I've found it particularly frustrating, disappointing and extremely hard work. Being the type of person that I am through my background and work experience, I hate to fail! Writing gives me great joy; promoting and marketing a book, though, is extremely tough, and at times, I've thought I've made a massive mistake in investing all my time and energy. However, when out of the blue, you get a cracking review or see someone out there buying your books and investing in you, it makes it so worthwhile. In terms of seeking an agent or a publisher, I've given up. The time and effort it takes are too much for me at this stage of my life! Perhaps if I were younger, I'd try harder. I therefore want my stories to be a legacy for my grandchildren and the next generation to help them understand what growing up during the Troubles was like and why we are where we are today.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Be prepared to work extremely hard! Be tenacious and precise in what your goals are? Is it to make money enough to earn a living? Is it to become famous? Is it to tell a story, or is it purely for its joy? Knowing why you write will help you manage the highs and lows. However, be ready and armoured! 


Tell us about your book/books:

I lived predominantly in London throughout the awful time known as "The Troubles". It was apparent then – and still is today – that not all the facts of the horrific events in Ulster – perpetrated on every side by the warring factions – were presented accurately and unbiasedly. Sadly this was especially true in mainland Britain.

 

Over recent years, I recognised that many of the people I'd been fortunate enough to meet on my travels didn't understand why or how the conflict in the North of Ireland began and continued for three decades. I found this particularly frustrating and decided to take it upon myself to inform them and others by writing a historical fiction series based on my childhood experiences and events from this horrific period in Ireland's history up to the Good Friday Agreement in 1998.

 

Therefore, I created Stones Corner Turmoil V1Darkness V2Light V3 (Sept 2022) and Hope V4 (Summer 2023).  I believe we need to move on from "The Troubles" as a country while never forgetting how and why they occurred. In recognition of the hardship and suffering endured by so many of our friends, family and neighbours, we should continue to embrace the healing and reconciliation process.

The books are a tough, thrilling read and contain those vital ingredients of war, love, betrayal, bigotry and terror.  More importantly, intertwined are a number of unsuspecting plots and cliff hanging endings.  The stories are based in Derry and for further information please take a look at Goodreads.com https://bit.ly/3HWLHXK



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Without a doubt, the support you get and give each other! I've made some great friends and fellow indie authors who know the joys and sorrows of being an indie author. Most, if not all, are prepared to share their ideas and tricks of the trade, and for any first-time author, it is especially welcome and time-saving. It's also a fantastic way of learning from their wisdom. As a whole, I believe we keep each other sane!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

That's a tough one! I guess I'd say thank you first for trusting and investing in me! As an author, feedback is crucial; otherwise, how do I improve? Therefore, I'm open to suggestions, but more importantly, it's about reviews on Goodreads.com or Amazon or, even better, word of mouth; personal recommendations are crucial.  

As an indie author, I don't have a publishing house to support me, for example, in getting other well-known authors to validate my work or access mainstream media for coverage or professional reviews. Reader's reviews will always help raise my profile and spread the word about my work.  So thank you, everyone, but please, always, always leave a review!


Where can people connect with you?

Buy paperback Stones Corner books @ www.janebuckleywrites.com

Available on Kindle; Stones Corner Turmoil & Darkness

Instagram @janebuckley_writes

Facebook jane buckley writes author

Twitter: @janebuckley_sc

Email: hello@janebuckleywrites.co.uk


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview