Daniel R. Hayes interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’m a horror/supernatural author, and I live in West Virginia with my wife and daughter. When I was younger, I had earned a developmental contract for WCW (World Championship Wrestling) but gave that up to start a family of my own. Over the years, I put myself through college and graduated in the field of Business Administration. I would, however, discover a hidden talent later on, which was writing.


When did your love of books begin?

My love for reading and books, in general, began when I was in elementary school. I started out reading comic books and then moved on to short novels. I really enjoyed the short scary stories I would find at the school book fair. Later, I fell in love with fantasy books like The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

My writing journey started when I discovered a writing community called Reedsy. They have a writing contest where you write short stories based on a prompt. I started doing this as a hobby and ended up writing a plethora of short stories over the next year. I created some wonderful series on Reedsy, and it became clear that the short story format could no longer contain those stories, so I decided to write my first novel, “Tales from Mr. Macabre.”


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

For me, it was a gradual progression. By writing those short stories on Reedsy and interacting with other talented writers, my writing got better. I wanted to improve my craft, so I immersed myself in learning everything I could. I read books, watched videos, studied day and night, and lived and breathed everything that had to do with writing stories. It was hard, but I enjoyed the process, and I’m still learning.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

The first thing I would tell a new author or writer is to believe in yourself. If you don’t believe in yourself, no one else will. Writing has its fair share of ups and downs; you may feel discouraged sometimes, but don’t give up. Learning the ends and outs is really hard, but the process is worth it. Join a writing community like Reedsy, and interact with other writers.

Don’t depend on your family for advice because they are biased. Find a writing pal you can trust, and don’t be afraid to make mistakes because we learn from them. Lastly, keep writing because the more you write, the better you will get.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first novel, “Tales from Mr. Macabre,” is a short horror story collection with an overall narrative. The story begins with me writing a novel, and then my mind gets invaded by an evil spirit named Mr. Macabre. It turns out that he loves telling scary stories and decides to use my talent to write them. I try to fight back, but his strength is overpowering. Through me, Mr. Macabre writes a series of horrifically bizarre tales, and the only question that remains is: Will I be strong enough to cleanse my mind from the sinister Mr. Macabre, or will I be forever lost to his madness?



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing community is fantastic. It’s a place where you can find like-minded people who share the same goals and dreams. Over the years, I’ve made some amazing friends, and the experience is one that I will treasure for the rest of my life.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

The first thing I would say to my readers is, thank you for reading my stories, buying the book, and for the continued support. I can’t tell you how much it means to me to be able to share these stories with you, and I will continue to put out quality stories and books that I know you all will enjoy.


Where can people connect with you?

People can connect with me on my social media accounts and my website:

https://danielrhayesbooks.com/

https://twitter.com/DanielRHayes101

https://www.instagram.com/danielrhayes_books/

https://www.facebook.com/DanielRyanHayes



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview