Brenda Lyne interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Brenda Lyne is my pen name; my real name is Jennifer DeVries. I live just outside Minneapolis, Minnesota with my two busy kids, two cats, two fish, and probably a partridge in a pear tree. I am living, breathing proof that it is never too late to follow your dreams.


When did your love of books begin?

I have my parents to thank for my love of books. I spent untold hours of my childhood at the library, checking out and devouring a dozen books at a time. I started reading billboards from the backseat of the car by age three, shocking my parents. I read “The Monster at the End of This Book” over and over until it fell apart in my hands at age six. I’d read every single Stephen King novel in my parents’ library by age twelve. I was constantly writing stories, and made my first attempt at writing a novel at age thirteen. Writing has always been my way of exploring and understanding the world around me. I always knew I wanted to be a novelist, to entertain and share my stories with the world.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I've always known I wanted to write novels...it just took me a long time to find the discipline to actually do it. The catalyst came in 2018, when I was asked to write up a development plan for my job. I really struggled with that, because I felt like the expectation was to strive to become middle management at that large corporation. And quite frankly, that wasn't what I wanted. I knew what I REALLY wanted, and realized it was time to make it happen. I took a short story class to dust off the cobwebs, and I haven't stopped writing since!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's definitely been a challenging process! I never really expected to be an indie author; I'd always hoped to traditionally publish, leaving the marketing and the distribution to the pros while I focused on writing. My journey has not gone as planned, but I have no regrets! Going independent requires significant investment of time and money and work. But when you're doing what you love, it doesn't feel like work at all.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Don't rest on your laurels, or expect anything to be given to you. Be prepared to advocate for yourself and work hard to make your dreams happen.


Tell us about your book/books:

My third novel, paranormal thriller The Thirteenth Cabin, is set for release on September 13. Here's a synopsis: Raegan O'Rourke is a talented investigative reporter with a knack for uncovering the truth. The real truth. You see, Raegan has a gift: she touches things and sees visions of past events. When her neighbors lose their beloved dog in a mysterious northern Minnesota lake resort fire, Raegan decides to use her touch to investigate the cause and bring closure to the family. In the process she uncovers another, deeper mystery that has baffled authorities and kept a Minnesota Iron Range community on edge for twenty-five years. Solving the two cases will put Raegan's abilities to the test. If, that is, she can stay alive – because some people will protect their secrets at all costs.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing community is so tight-knit and supportive! It's lovely to have such a resource, especially as an indie author!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I aim to entertain with my stories, but also to connect with my readers on a deeper level. By exploring timely, often difficult subject matter, I hope I am helping them (and myself!) gain a deeper understanding of the world around them.


Where can people connect with you?

Check out my website - everything you need to know about me and my books is there!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview