Amy Olivia Hartley interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

Probably my earliest memory is having The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe read to me at bedtime. It so captured my imagination and determination that, the following night, I begged to try and read it myself. That precise moment really shaped my life and specifically, stoked the fires of a voracious reader.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Much like my early introduction to books and literature, my dreams and aspirations of becoming an author started when I was young! I recall learning what the word "author" meant when I was around seven-years-old, and proclaiming that I would one day become one. Although this changed as I grew up, I always ended up coming back to it. Passing aspirations included being a dolphin trainer, an Egyptologist (still a tangible dream, truthfully), a Historian, a Professor, a Teacher, and other such professions. I could just never shake the wonder I felt whenever I thought of writing books and reaching the inquiring, inquisitive minds of people the world over, of hopefully sharing some magic with them.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

One word: challenging. Because I was encouraged to enter more "stable" professions, I haven't yet been able to dedicate my full attention to this endeavor and so the going feels very, very slow. I juggle a full-time job alongside my writing and all that comes with it; the social media presence, the blogging, the networking. 2022 has been the year that I was finally able to start my journey as an author by beginning the writing of my first-ever novel. I aim to have finished its first draft by the end of the year!


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Be patient and kind to yourself as much as you can. There are so many authors and books out there that it can feel intimidating, and, if you're anything like me, you can feel discouraged that your story will never get told. But it will. You have to grow a thick skin, huge dreams and a level of drive to keep you going. Oh, and you're never alone even if it can feel like you are. 


Tell us about your book/books:

As I briefly mentioned before, I started writing my debut novel in January of this year. It's currently 67,000 words deep. I still don't have a title (those who know me are very aware that I am AWFUL at making titles), but I plan to have everything done and in first draft status by the end of the year. Picture this: a fantasy/ mystery hybrid that follows the woeful tale of a self-made detective, trying in vain to help his crime-riddled city, and managing to uncover centuries-buried secrets in the process. Sarcastic, biting humor punctuates a dark, dreary world where "hope" is a word without meaning... for now.
Although I'm still working on this book, I do have a published collection of poetry called From the Heart. As it sounds, it's a collection full of emotions and things close to me personally. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/3bRkJ88


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Probably my favorite thing about the writing & reading communities is that everyone is so eager to help one another. Whether it's using writer's lifts, or answering questions asked, I've noticed that everyone is so kind and happy to help in whatever way they can. It's so important considering that an author often has to become their own PR team nowadays, especially if they want to go the route of independent publishing. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Just one thing: I'm sorry. It's a preemptive sorry for when I finish this book and it's out in the world and people have reached the end of it. My mug that contains the tears of my readers will undoubtedly be overflowing...! (Seriously, I have a mug or two that say 'Tears of my Readers')


Where can people connect with you?

There are a lot of places I hang out on this worldwide web! And I'd love to connect with other writers and readers, it's one of my favorite things about social media.
I also have a Patreon page, where patrons get to see insider looks at my novel in progress, my YouTube behind-the-scenes, and all sorts of other exclusive stuff!
You can also buy me a coffee on Ko-Fihttps://ko-fi.com/amyhartleyauthor


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview