Steve Beattie interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I have always had a passion for reading going back to when I was a youngster and would avidly read Roy of the Rovers comics.  I later progressed onto something more substantial and began reading autobiographies.  I went through a spell where I would read any and all autobiographies from footballers, sports stars, music icons, film stars etc.  I also enjoyed reading books from films that I had enjoyed and expanded my range of reading from there.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I guess I would say that I have had ideas for novels running through my head for many a year.  I never thought I would have what it took to get those ideas down on print.  Then during the first Covid lockdown when mind badly needed something to occupy it and I was on danger of falling into a depression I decided to try.  The same thoughts and ideas that circulated my mind for a long time of and on became the premise of my first novel.  I was surprised in myself how well I took to the writing process.  I thoroughly enjoyed the process from that initial stage all the way through to getting Redemption Song published in December 2020.  If it had not been for Covid I doubt I would have been able to achieve all that I have.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

As mentioned above I have found the process very enjoyable.  I believe I have unearthed an ability or a skill that I genuinely did not know I had in me.  The thoughts and ideas for my novels seem to come easily to me.  The challenge is getting those thoughts written down in the best manner possible.  Once aspect that I relish is once I have the first draft of a novel finished and I go back through it looking for errors, plot holes etc. and try to improve on what I have written.  My second novel, which I hope will be published soon, it almost unrecognisable from its initial stages.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Try it.  Honestly, I would recommend anybody who has an idea for a book to give it a go.  You might just find, as I have, that you have a real passion for writing.  Who knows, you might even be very successful at it.  The worst that can happen is that you find that you are not able to write a book, at least you would know and not have any regrets down the line.


Tell us about your book/books:

My debut novel Redemption Song was published back in December 2020 and is available on Amazon in paperback and kindle versions.  The story follows Jake Martin, a former fledgling footballer turned professional wrestler following a nasty injury.  He gets wrongly convicted of murder because of a contrived court case where vital evidence was intentionally withheld by the prosecution.  Sentenced to spend a vast proportion of his life behind bars Jake is thrust into a fight to clear his name.  He also faces a fight for his life as other prisoners take a dislike to him largely due to his celebrity status.  Jake’s story is one the highest highs and lowest of lows.

There will be two follow books that follow on directly from the end of Tyne for Retribution.  The direct follow up will be called Tyne for Vengeance ad I am at the end of the first draft with it.  I do have thoughts around where the third book in the trilogy will go but have not progressed it further at this time.

I have also written a rough draft of another novel which is more in the science fiction field.  It is currently untitled, but I can reveal it involves humanity going to war with another species.  I don’t want to say too much about it just yet as I know it needs a lot of work still.

In addition to the above I have yet another work in progress that will, hopefully, be in the horror genre.  I have got as far as writing the first few chapters but again is still only in the rough planning stages.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

What I really love about the writing/reading community is how everyone is happy and willing to help a fellow writer out.  I have been surprised just how many people have gone out of their way to help me promote my novel on social media.  Since joining the community I have seen my followers on twitter rise by more than a thousand so far, which is truly remarkable.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I would encourage as many people as possible to read my debut novel Redemption Song.  It is something I am extremely proud of and have had some really encouraging reviews come back about my work.  One reader even compared my writing to that of John Grisham which truly was an amazing compliment to receive.  He is one of my literally favourites so to be compared to him was astounding.

Also watch this space as hopefully, with fingers crossed, there will be a second Steve Beattie novel hitting the shops within the coming months.


Where can people connect with you?

I can be found on twitter @sbeatbox77.   My novel Redemption Song is available on Amazon for in paperback or kindle (& kindle unlimited) versions.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview