Rae Knowles interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I started reading at an early age and really fell in love with stories when my dad bought me The Hobbit.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

My first short stories were written when I was in high school. Even then I wrote horror, so I guess I've always been hooked on the genre. I had a whimsical idea about becoming an author during college but didn't totally understand that it was a difficult road financially (i.e. that no one was going to pay me for just being an author). That dream was put on hold for many years while I got established in a career and I was able to circle back to it more recently.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's been a labor of love! I write because I love it. It's an excellent creative outlet and it eases my anxiety. My first novel would need serious revision to be anything I'm proud of, and I'm not confident I will ever get back to it. But the practice paid off when I wrote my second novel, which is coming May 2023 from Brigids Gate Press.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would encourage them to write! Even naturally gifted writers need practice to hone their skill set and find their voice. I continue to experiment with styles and genres. Anyone who loves writing should do it.


Tell us about your book/books:

My debut novel is a queer retelling of Patrick Hamilton's Gaslight. I find that I write quite a bit about narcissism and unhealthy relationships, probably because of the personally experience I have in that area. This is the pitch that landed me my book deal:

When a surprise inheritance and whirlwind romance offer Mae a chance to escape her repressive aunt, she’s all too eager to elope and start life anew in her childhood home. But when she and her new husband, Carter, arrive, the towering Victorian sits in disrepair, and Mae learns that her father’s decade-old, unsolved murder is still a source of rumor and speculation in town. 

Leading the charge to unravel the mystery surrounding his death is Ollie, a vibrant genderqueer and an outsider in their hometown, Landrum. Sure that solving the cold case will land them a coveted job in the police department, Ollie gains access to the Victorian by agreeing to do maintenance work on the property. Suspicious of Carter from the start, Ollie is intent on proving he’s connected with the infamous crime. 

Inside the old Victorian, Mae encounters strange happenings. The wallpaper morphs and swirls, soft voices taunt her from empty rooms, and distinct melodies of the priceless, Stradivarius violin stolen the night of her father’s murder echo through the house. Mae doesn’t know whether the house is haunted by her father’s spirit, she is losing her grip on reality, or something more sinister is at play, but if she and Ollie can’t work together to uncover the Victorian’s secrets, she’ll lose her freedom for good.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how kind the community has been! Joining the writing community on Twitter was game-changing for me. Prior to that, I felt pretty isolated. Family and friends could only listen to me talk through my plot problems so much. Through the writing community, I've found critique partners, friends, and a community. It was the support I needed to keep going and continuing growing as an author.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for trusting me with your time.


Where can people connect with you?

You can find me on twitter @_Rae_Knowles and at RaeKnowles.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Claude Bouchard interview