Nicholas Blaga interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

My father was a big history buff and consumed a lot of non-fiction. He got my brother and I reading articles in National Geographic back in the day, since the thick books he read didn't appeal to us as much. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I got the itch to write early in life and began with short stories in elementary school fictionalizing adventures with my playground pals. I excelled in reading and writing very early on and put those skills to use beginning in fourth grade.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Literary agents and my attempts at securing one has been the most frustrating and demoralizing aspect of the process. I kept the search going for three years before deciding to self-publish and stake my claim as an indie author. The most common feedback I received from literary agents was that readers only care about non-fiction titles about Elvis; not a novelization of his childhood. I reminded them the market is already saturated with these types of books and respectfully disagreed. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

"Duty is the enemy of art" and the vast majority of writers aren't full-time writers. We have day jobs to pay the bills. Mastering the art of carving out time to write is the best directive I can offer aspiring writers. Also be forewarned: You will test relationships with friends and may strain familial obligations, but you can never be a writer if you do not write.


Tell us about your book/books:

Book I of my trilogy, Before Graceland: A Novel of Elvis Presley's Childhood, is my gift to EP fans worldwide. I once heard that if you're seeking out a book that should be out there but isn't, write it yourself. So I did. Books I and II of my trilogy of Presley novels center on his life as a child in Tupelo, Mississippi in the year 1946. Book III will center on his time as a high school senior. I  launched Book I in late June. Book II is slated for release during Elvis Week next summer. Book III will not be available for several more years.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Stories first have to motivate the writer to write them. At least, I feel that way. The readers may not enjoy them if the writer doesn't love writing it for them. A lot of writers who become celebrities tend to outsource their work in a big way, and I find that revolting and reeking of avarice. I'm also fascinated by the factors that draw writers into certain genres and the varying ways they stay the course to complete their works before sharing them with the reading world.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Enjoy the journey. Realize every work of writing is a loose-fitting apparel meant to be worn however you see fit. The lens of interpretation is different for everyone, so enjoy the journey as only you can. 


Where can people connect with you?

Anyone can follow me on Twitter. My handle there is @NickBlagaWrites 
Another option is to email me at: nicholasblagawrites@gmail.com My website, to see what I'm up to, is www.nicholasblagawrites.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview