Martin Devaney interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’ve written for national broadcasters, RTE and BBC. I’ve written radio dramas, comedies, serials, some TV stuff, a book on writing for RTE, plays and so on. I’m thrilled that a book of mine is to be published in London in the Autumn. It’s a who-done it that’s very much tongue in cheek. Its for those who like a mystery with lots of Of Twists with some laughs thrown in.


When did your love of books begin?

I grew up in Birmingham and my parents moved to Ireland where I now live- when I was 7. I missed the big city and got my family to join the library. So knowing no one I'd withdraw 10 books a week. I loved books then and still do so.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I wrote a thesaurus when I was 9. I filled copy books with words with similar meanings cause they were so interesting.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I have good patience
And in writing you need it. I might submit a radio play for broadcast and it wont be aired for a year. The book was accepted by the publisher over 15 months ago and will be out in a few more. So the lesson is- there are no shortcuts.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Develop patience and READ. Too many people would come to my creative writing classes and I could tell that they liked the idea of being a author and having a book with their name on it. However, they were often unprepared for the hard dog that goes in and the sacrifices that have to be made- sometimes you have to give up on a night out or an event if you are down on a word count.


Tell us about your book/books:

The book is part of a series. It is intended to be funny and an entertaining read. It’s turns some crime tropes on its head. Ie the murderer is revealed right in the opening paragraph but the murder does not happen until the end. I hope also that readers find it well written.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the banter that can go on. I do enjoy helping people- I’ve helped writers becomes broadcast writers, I’ve made notes on manuscripts that went on to win national competitions and be published. I also like the idea that I can ask for help. I’ll be over in London and would find it useful to pick the brains of other local authors. People who can recommend bloggers, local media, the best places for coffee. The stuff that Google wont tell you.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Keep at it.


Where can people connect with you?

I’m busy developing my social media accounts. So website is badfox.ie but the authors website is almost ready. People can contact me on Facebook martinjpdevaney author and now on Twitter martinjdevaney.

I’m available to chat, keen to chat and help out where I can. Dats all folks!
Martin Devaney has a degree in Drama from TCD, has written the book THE RTE Writer's Guide for RTE Commercial Enterprises/Blackwater Press; has written one off plays, comedies, series for Radio One, short stories for RTE Radio One and BBC; produced a comedy quiz show for Radio One; produced/written several short films; has written for Abbey, has had plays produced around Ireland, Canada, Australia, Poland. He also has written for RTE Television. He has just finished working for TV channel IrishTV on Sky 191 where he produced over 99 weekly television shows.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview