L.A. Thompson interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

From the time I was a kid and I collected books based on a little know children's television show called Wishbone about a dog who liked classic literature, haha! I loved anything to do with dogs as a child, and the show made me into a book lover as well, which very much pleased my parents.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

It started with Star Wars. It was my first foray into nerdom as a kid. I read book series based on the movies and I was blown away by it. The inventiveness and detail of the universe that George Lucas created inspired me to want to construct a unique world that people could enter, where they could see their own struggles and circumstances, while also enjoying the thrill of escapist fantasy at the same time.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Hard. You face a lot of rejections and you're constantly learning how to improve your craft so you can tell the sort of stories you want to tell. You can know what makes a story good, but actually writing one takes time and practice.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Never give up. It will feel hopeless sometimes, but the key thing is to keep honing your craft and find supports around you to keep you on track and give you the feedback you need to be the best writer you can be. 


Tell us about your book/books:

I've written two books so far in a steampunk fantasy trilogy called Isle of Dragons. It focuses on a teenage girl named Jade born into nobility who goes in search of this ilsand that a lot of people think only exists in myth after the royal court banishes her father there for asking too many questions about their practices. She runs away to find answers about the Isle and finds a family who are outcasts for their use of magic. And Jade uncovers mysteries about her past and the royal court a long the way. There's a lot of political intrigue, steampunk, magic, and of course, dragons. :) The second part of the trilogy comes out August 5 and is availabel for pre-order on Amazon. I've also written a standalone fantasy romance novel called The Prince and the Witch, which centers on a cursed prince searching for a cure before his 17th birthday. It's very much inspired by fairy tales.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

They're unabashed enthusiasm and nerdiness for stories! I've found the writing community so willing to help fellow writers and support them in any way on their journey. The community actually makes being on social media a worthwhile experience for me, lol! I love hearing back from readers, even if it's a negative review. I learn so much from all reviews I receive, and the negative ones are just as important, if not more important to grow as a writer than the positive ones.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I hope you find some character, dragon or part of the world that brings you joy in some way. Because in the end, as cheesy as it sounds, I think stories should be about making people's worlds just that little bit brighter.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview