Gord Lanyon interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Gord Lanyon and I haven’t always been a writer. I’ve always WANTED to write but found that available time was just too limited to do anything meaningful. My job for most of my life involved teaching computer science at the grades 11 and 12 levels. It was a great job, with wonderful kids. I really enjoyed my work since the kids themselves were interested in computers and able to do quite complex work. Then in 2015 I retired and found myself traveling quite a bit with my wife, Linda. That was a lot of fun but also provided a lot of empty hours waiting for flights and general travel itself. I wondered how I could use that time more constructively while filling it with something interesting. That’s where the writing came in. 


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began with Mrs. McMonies, my fabulous grade 3 teacher. She used to read a section of a book to us every day. And it was her who got me interested in the Hardy Boy series. Once I finished those books I was hooked. Reading opened up worlds for me, as it does everyone who enjoys the written word. In particular I grew to love the fantastic - fantasy and science fiction dominated my shelves. Asimov, Bradbury, Heinlein, all the greats. I had quite the collection until I got married and succumbed to the digital world where everything could be put inside a single Kobo reader.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

The idea of actually becoming an author and getting down to doing the thing came about at the end of a TV series called Farscape. I loved that show and I remember watching the last episode and thinking to myself how lucky those actors were to have been part of something so creative. The idea of making something fulfilling out of an idea - out of nothing really and providing moments of happiness and genuine interest to others stirred me to action. It was then I knew I was going to write.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Writing is an evolving process. Very much like teaching in that you’re always learning and, hopefully, improving. It’s also much easier to be a writer now which is both good and bad. It’s almost too easy to write something and call it a novel now. I worry that many aren’t putting the necessary work in. Writing is hard and good writing much harder. So one of the things I’d say to a new author is - put the work in. That means edit the ‘h’ out of your work and don’t be afraid of genuine criticism. Also - don’t be discouraged if all expectations aren’t met. Unless you're very lucky the way to success is an uphill slog for everyone.


Tell us about your book/books:

Science fiction your bag?Human body snatchers an interest?Not afraid of the world inside?Then these books might be for you.
The God Hunters: Nicholas Benson is a university professor. The alien Katal is a Hunter, chasing an escaped criminal. The trouble is, she needs a body and Nick has the only one available. Now NIck has powers. He can do things he’s always dreamed of doing as a boy. The trouble is, so can his enemies, and none of them appreciate being hunted.== AND NEWEST BOOK BELOW==Something Wounded: Nick's in trouble. Walker's gone wild and has to be stopped. Kat and Meeta are on the run. He wants to help his friends but doing so will expose him to his enemies and place the planet itself in jeopardy. What he needs is a plan. Something better than the usual or everyone dies.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love and appreciate the community of writers. I have a great following on twitter and speak with a number of talented writers almost every day. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

To the readers I’d say - Keep reading. Without them we’re just talking to ourselves. 


Where can people connect with you?

People can connect with me on Twitter and Instagram @glanyon56
As far as my work goes -
Amazon Kindle and Paperback Links:
Smashwords Links for those who like epubs/Kobo:
And of course the Kobo and Apple stores have my books as well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview