David Clémenceau interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

It began in 2007, while I was in Britain with the Erasmus exchange programme. It was my 3rd Bachelor year and I hadn't been much of a reader until then. I read my first Discworld novel there, Guards Guards, in German. After that I went to Salford Market in the greater Manchester area and bought my first Discworld novel in English, Pyramids. I loved it so much that I have been reading Pratchett ever since. Not one year without. My next book in English was Marylin Manson's autobiography.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I couldn't really tell. I've been writing bits and pieces and drawing ever since I was 10 and throughout my teens. A dear friend gave me my first blank notebook, without lines or anything, just blank pages and I filled it with thoughts and phrases and aphorisms. Then, in 2006, after a difficult breakup, while I was reading Foundation, I began to write what would become my first short story, which is a crossover of Through the Looking-glass and St. Éxupéry's Le petit prince.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Not sure about that question. If you mean the process of becoming published, my answer is, tough. It takes courage and determination, in my opinion, to write a story and then subject it to someone's criticism. Being rejected by magazines and reviews was a painful experience at first. Then I learned that it's part of the game, even the nasty ones. Some criticism has even helped me grow as a writer. There are also authors who go through the insane amount of work to compile calls for submissions, something which has helped me greatly.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Just. Do. It. If you want to write, do it. Be bold, be fearless in spite of your fears and anxieties. Overcome yourself and find someone who will read your stuff and provide constructive criticsm. You need someone with know-how who you trust znd who will give constructive criticism. It's all part of the Work. Oh and don't take criticism personally. It's about your work, not your person.


Tell us about your book/books:

I write short stories and plan on making my own compilation of shorts.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The support and creative input. Some people will try to destroy your writing, maul it and criticise it in a non-constructive and disrespectful way. The thing is, when your unsure about yourself (!) and insecure about your writing (!) and ask someone for their opinion, some will try to put their ideas into your head without actually caring about your writing. I still struggle with one such toxic encounter. But I always find someone willing to give some of their time to give a read and comment a little and I try to give back what I can.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Read my stories and tell everyone around you they're great.


Where can people connect with you?

I'm on Facebook: David Clémenceau AuthorTwitter: @DavidCl3menceauand since recently on Instagram: dvd_42_dc_writer


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview