Susan Frances interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

As soon as I could read. I don’t remember not reading. When I was little I used to hide under my bedcovers with a torch so I could read after I was told to turn out my light.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I still have my original stories written when I was seven – the spellings are lovely! I wrote my first full-length novel when I was ten. The story was about a horse called Amber – Black Beauty was my favourite book at the time! I received my first rejection, albeit a very nice one.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It was far more difficult than I thought. It is also the most enjoyable and satisfying thing I have ever done and I can’t see a time when I won’t write.

I have swings of total euphoria when my writing is going well to the depths of despair when it isn’t. When the words flow, there is no better feeling. It can also be a draining and emotional process.

After all the work when the book has been edited, re-written, tweaked and polished and finally finished it’s the best feeling in the world.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Do it! Take the time to learn a few techniques at the beginning because it will save you hours of re-writing later. The most important thing is to believe in your writing and find a good beta reader who will spot things you never will. Most of all, enjoy it.


Tell us about your book/books:

As a girl, I was fascinated by my grandfather’s tales of our Devon family and his time on the farms. Later, I researched my family history. No One Must Know is the first book in the Chiddleigh series and was inspired by my findings.

The story begins in Devon England 1330 because that is the earliest record of my family. It is a fascinating time and often overshadowed by the Tudors.

At its core, No One Must Know is the story of how one unforeseen event can ripple to affect so many lives with devastating consequences. Set in a remote medieval estate, the reader is taken into the daily lives of the characters as the plots twist and turn to keep you guessing until the end.

The series will follow the ups and downs of the Chiddleigh family, probably finishing around 1960. I have no wish to write an autobiography!

Book 2 follows the story and is coming soon.

What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I always thought I was struggling alone and that I was the only one with a plot that didn’t work or a scene I couldn’t write. Then I discovered the writing community. Fellow readers and authors are so supportive and there’s always help out there. It’s widened my choice of reading too.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for reading my book and for the lovely comments I’ve received. Look out for Book 2 coming soon.


Where can people connect with you?

I love hearing from my readers and I can be found on twitter @susanfrances18 and on my website for reviews, photos and more. www.susanfrances.co.uk


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview