Ryan Cipriani interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hello!  I am Ryan Cipriani, and while my hobby is manically writing everything busting to get out of my head, I like to think of myself first and foremost as a storyteller.  To date I have self-published 4 novels in the saga of my sarcastic fantasy hero, Krög, the Battle Prince, with four more manuscripts for further adventures to come out eventually!  I also keep busy writing speculative fiction short stories, and recently completed manuscripts for two other novels- a sci-fi horror, and a music-inspired fantasy.  Most recently I have been working on a series of motivational articles meant to inspire writers to do exactly that: write.  Just.  Write. 
Prior to getting into writing as my full-time passion, I was a heavy metal guitar player for a number of bands in Orlando and Los Angeles.  If I'm not pouring over a manuscript, I'm probably either playing retro video games, chess, or brainstorming with my girlfriend about what kind of mad adventure we want to get into that weekend.


When did your love of books begin?

My parents got me 'audio books' as a child- they were essentially little cartridges that plugged into a headset and read books to you before you could read yourself.  I knew everything there was to know about sharks and dinosaurs back then.  And I think this is where I really got into storytelling.  Don't get me wrong, I love books!  I have shelves of them, and I'm constantly digging into something new.  But my love for the written word is more for the story being told.  Whether that's through words on the page or via audio books, or however a writer wants to deliver their story.  That love goes back to being, like, four or five.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I started writing 'books' when I was six or seven.  I drew illustrations of monsters on paper, stapled them together and wrote little horror stories.  Creative writing was always my favorite class, and I would actually start drafting Krög's adventures as early as 14.  Writing took a back seat when I got into guitar at 16 and decided I wanted to be a rockstar instead.  It wouldn't be until more than ten years later when I would finally return to my first passion, and started writing with more intentionality.  So, it's been a lifelong pursuit, kind of, but it's really been the last decade that it has been something I have pursued with any degree of focus.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Well that depends on what you mean by 'becoming an author'.  Becoming a commercially successful author who can live off book sales?  Incredibly difficult, very much an uphill climb, and a constant barrage of new challenges, rejection and setbacks.
BUT!
I don't believe being commercially successful makes you an author.  Writing books and stories: THAT is what makes you an author.  And that I absolutely adore.  I love writing.  I love it.  I wish I could go back and rewrite some of my first manuscripts for the first time again, just to feel that rush a second time.  I adore the process of sinking into a new manuscript and telling new stories.  How have I found THAT process?  Incredible.  The greatest pursuit I have ever begun.  


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

This is interesting because it dovetails into my recent pursuit of trying to motivate more and more people to become writers.  My philosophy is simple.
Stop trying to write just right.  Just write.
So many new authors and writers get in their own way, obsessing over writing the perfect first draft (there absolutely is no perfect first draft) or writing the most important book of the decade, or whatever.  And instead of letting their own unique, inner writer voice come out, they try and force themselves into a certain tone or structure.  
If you're an aspiring author, heed this.  It doesn't matter if you use the same words as someone else.  It doesn't matter if your sentences are simpler, or your story is shorter. It doesn't matter.  You just need to write it.
I'm speaking directly to up and coming writers: You have an incredible story to tell.  And I can't wait to hear it!  But no one will ever hear it, or read it, if you don't tell it first. So stop trying to write just right.  Just.  Write.  
Let your inner, authentic writer's voice come out.  Set it free.  You have an audience that is going to find you so compelling.  Let them hear the real you.


Tell us about your book/books:

The Mythical, Mystical, Magnificent Adventures of Krög, the Battle Prince tells the tale of a barbarian prince about to become the world's next greatest hero!
Except...
He doesn't want to be a hero.  Or a prince.  Or really anything of import.  He just kind of wants to be left alone to play music, or climb trees, or braid rope, frankly.  Krög is a disinterested, and often uncouth, noble in a world overflowing with heroes.  His home kingdom is where the greatest warriors and dragon slayers in the whole realm live, and he could not be less excited about it.
So his parents do what any parents would with a layabout- they kick him out and tell him to get a hero job.  As his adventures unfold, Krög will go on to fight a stronghold full of pirates, confront the last dragon in the world, challenge foreign warlords and lock horns with the acolyte of an ancient, evil demon.
It all sounds quite thrilling, right?  Well it is, and it isn't.  Krög's stories are written simultaneously as a tribute to all the things I love: retro video games, heavy metal music, windswept adventure, and of course, fantasy novels.  
But the stories are also largely a satire of these things as well.  I lovingly poke fun at them all and point out the ridiculous idiosyncrasies.  Even Krög himself is a reflection of the worst flaws I see in myself, and an opportunity for me as a writer to challenge who I am as an individual.
If you like fantasy, mythology, folklore, and have a wicked sense of humor, enjoy snark, and love seeing tropes upturned in subtly (and not so subtly) ridiculous ways, Krög's tales are definitely for you.  Whether you find strength in his best friend, a 9 foot tall, nearly invincible troll named Ashley, enjoy a good dirty joke from the cat-sized dragon that sits on his shoulder, Scale, or just want to roll your eyes along with his mysterious companion, Lee, a woman who can do everything Krög is supposed to be able to do better than him, the bounty of characters in his saga offers a kaleidoscope of personalities, opinions and outlooks.
These books are truly my lifetime labor of love, and I'm excited to eventually bring the next four to publication one day!


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

There is always someone who can relate to what you're going through no matter where you are in your writing journey.  There are first time writers, people who have been doing it for twenty years, writers who are querying, ones who just got full manuscript requests, fully published authors, successful ones, and hobbyists.  Whatever it is you are looking for, there is someone in the community who is right there with you, who can support you, or someone one step ahead of you that can offer advice.  Ask.  You'll find them.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you.  Truly and sincerely, thank you for giving me a chance to entertain you and spending your time with my work.  I appreciate it more than you know, and it is humbling knowing you're out there.


Where can people connect with you?

I'm on Twitter at @cipriani_ryan, Medium @ciprianiryan, I've started posting motivational videos on YouTube as Ryan Cipriani, and I'm joining TikTok as TheGrimSkald!  You can email me at ryancipriani.writer@gmail.com.
And if you're interested in Krög's adventures, check out www.krogthebattleprince.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview