Natalie Blank interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I've always loved to read, but my love of writing books began in middle school. I wrote a novel (which sounded too much like a Star Wars story), sent it off to a publisher, and received a personal rejection to keep trying, and we'd love to hear back from you when you're eighteen. I still have that rejection letter (and it's my favorite one!).


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I’ve always wanted to become an author with the ultimate dream of meeting Oprah. I wrote novels throughout middle and high school. After college, I decided to pursue publication.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Much of the publication process is waiting to hear back from editors. It’s crucial to keep writing so you don't get discouraged. Many editors won't see your work without an agent. It took over a decade for me to achieve representation, but it was worth the wait. 



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Have patience. Connect with other writers (Twitter is my favorite writing community). Don't be discouraged by rejections. For every 1000 NOs, you may receive one YES. 


Tell us about your book/books:

THE TANGIBLES is a Young Adult novel about a seventeen-year-old girl with schizophrenia. When she falls for her neighbor, who suffers from ADHD and depression, he convinces her to ditch her medication for marijuana.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love that there are so many of us! It's great to bounce ideas around, share stories, and hear the success of others. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Don't always go for the #1 bestselling book. Some of the best books I've read this year are from small/medium-sized presses. Be open-minded to reading from indie authors as well.


Where can people connect with you?

I am active on social media. I post a lot about my projects and random things, like accidentally putting cumin in my oatmeal instead of cinnamon. I also love posting pictures of my dog.


Website: authornatalieblank.com

Facebook: @NBlankAuthor

Twitter: @NBlankWriter

Instagram: @authornatalieblank

Amazon: @natalieblank    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview